JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Secure Folder Not Accepting Correct Password, Password Reset Not Working

(Topic created: 12-27-2022 03:19 PM)
useraXbrWciQDX
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

There seems to be a major Secure Folder issue with the latest phone update (see reddit posts piling up in last few days below)

Secure folder is not accepting the correct password when entered, and when I click on reset password it goes to a black screen with a spinning white circle that never changes.

I have talked to Samsung support on chat and on the phone with no solution, I wiped the cache, logged out of an into the samsung acccount on the phone, rebooted multiple times. I says I have 5 attempts left and I really need a file in that secure folder! Has anyone found a solution for this??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
useraXbrWciQDX
Asteroid
Options
I think I found a way to bypass that. If you go into your settings, then go to apps, scroll or search secured folder, then scroll down to storage and clear the data and cache. Once you cleared them out, go out of the storage and scroll back up and press on secure folder settings. It should prompt you to sign into your Samsung account and then take you to the settings for secured folder in which you can create and change the password. You can then sign into your secured folder with the new password and everything that was in there the last time you used it should still be there. I hope this helps, if not I hope others can find a way to resolve this.

View solution in context

16 Replies
BobbyCarra
Comet
Options
Secure Folder or any program that offers strong encryption should be used with caution. If there's no backup or the user forgets the password the data remains inaccessible...the whole point of security. If you do not have a backup an another secure storage or trusted cloud account then you're out of luck pretty much. Please use caution moving forward and always have a backup! I would consider this a loss unless you remember the password...factory reset your phone and start over. Live and learn...
useraXbrWciQDX
Asteroid
Options
I remember the password and I also have it written down. It's a bug with the latest update. Everyone seems to be entering the correct password and getting "wrong password". Then when we go to reset it the reset fails. Its a double fail for Samsung security on what should be their most robust app. I wish they had spent less on those fancy Knox commercials and more on development for the software update. When you move items to the secure folder they are no longer backed up via cable, they have a duty of care to make sure they don't become inaccessible if they are going to sell phones marketed for their data security. Hopefully someone is using secure folder in government and getting better results with an update from dedicated support than I did with general consumer support. If anyone is experiencing the same please post so this gets attention. I wonder if i can downgrade and get back in?
BobbyCarra
Comet
Options
You can't downgrade for security reasons. I didn't have issues with the update, I'm running the latest version. Report the error via this app but please understand there's no real way to get back in, at least no reasonable way. It will cost so much to try...but Cellebrite might be able to do it. Screenshot_20221222_075154_Secure Folder_1000005196_1671755085.jpg
MrsBiznezz
Astronaut
Options
Eye have been experiencing the same thing and know my password. However, the person who recommended to clear data and cache was right. It sent me back to security set up and now I'm back in. I was down to my last 3 attempts, that's how much eye been trying.
useraXbrWciQDX
Asteroid
Options
Thanks!!
NamedNick
Astronaut
Options
Hey, same issue on S22 Ultra. Not accepting correct password and not even doing reset where it just get stuck in an endless spinning white circle (I think it's trying to go to the Samsung account). Stupid update#$%&=&#,
Solution
useraXbrWciQDX
Asteroid
Options
I think I found a way to bypass that. If you go into your settings, then go to apps, scroll or search secured folder, then scroll down to storage and clear the data and cache. Once you cleared them out, go out of the storage and scroll back up and press on secure folder settings. It should prompt you to sign into your Samsung account and then take you to the settings for secured folder in which you can create and change the password. You can then sign into your secured folder with the new password and everything that was in there the last time you used it should still be there. I hope this helps, if not I hope others can find a way to resolve this.

Nynikki718
Constellation
Options
Thank you so much for sharing this solution. It worked for me!
NamedNick
Astronaut
Options
Clearing Cache I understand, but won't clearing data actually just delete the files already in the SEC folder (thats what the prompt says when you press clear data)?

Also, I tried clearing the cache alone, didn't work for me. Same spinning white circle.