JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How can I install an unknown apk?

(Topic created: 01-28-2023 10:46 AM)
Beanerboss
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I have searched online about installing an unknown apk.  They all tell me how to install an unknown app.  I go to the install unknown app page on my phone and lots of apps are listed.  But I do not have the app I just have the apk on my phone.  How do I install the app when my phone doesn't see my apk as an app?  You know what I mean?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Settings> Apps> click on 3 dots and select Special access> Install unknown apps> toggle My Files on to allow sideloading apks. Also, settings > Apps > My Files > Install unknown apps> toggle it on.

Then open My Files, select downloads and select the apk to install it.

Hope it works for you

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
ChefN8
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
You have to go to your downloads file and install from there
0 Likes
Beanerboss
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Screenshot_20230128_144443_Package installer.jpg

when I go to settings I get a list of apps  and this isn't in list, I assume because it is just a file.  as you can see install is greyed out.  I used to be able to just switch unknown on and off. sigh 

0 Likes
NoctisCaelum
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

You'll have to press settings and it should lead you to a screen where you'll have to turn on a switch to allow your phone to install unknown apk's

0 Likes
Beanerboss
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Screenshot_20230128_150953_Settings.jpg

totally unable to find such a switch hmmm

0 Likes
Belaythatorder
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Over the years I've "sideloaded" Google camera software apks (GCam) on a number of my devices. Open device settings (cogwheel icon)>in the search bar type in "install" or "unknown" and it should auto fill install unknown apps>tap on that and you will get a list of apps which you can toggle on for unknown app access. Usually toggling on Chrome access works for most apks.
0 Likes
Beanerboss
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Took your side road and ended up at the same location  of install unknown apps with a list of apps  AND Nnot ust the apk.

I probably missing something with my tunnel vision,  done this before on other phones no prob.

0 Likes
Belaythatorder
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Maybe there is an issue either the apk itself. You may be able to find an alternate version on Apkmirror. It may also be a software glitch that is preventing a good install in which case a restart of the device or a partition cache clear may help.
0 Likes
Solution
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Settings> Apps> click on 3 dots and select Special access> Install unknown apps> toggle My Files on to allow sideloading apks. Also, settings > Apps > My Files > Install unknown apps> toggle it on.

Then open My Files, select downloads and select the apk to install it.

Hope it works for you
0 Likes