Original topic:

Dark mode is no longer black in Android 14, it's a greyish color

(Topic created: 11-20-2023 04:27 AM)
GregP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Dark mode is no longer black in Android 14. It is now grey with a very light background. This is not really "dark".

9 Replies
Starrlight23
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
This is a very good thing. Black is too much for my eyes. It causing straining so I'm glad for that. I don't have the update yet to see it though
0 Likes
GregP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
My normal theme is darker
RedDragon
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

You have pictures of it?

0 Likes
GregP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Dark modeScreenshot_20231120_171826_Samsung Members.jpg
0 Likes
Larrster
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

It is not a pleasant background color. Hopefully we can adjust the darkness of the black in future updates.

GirthBr00ks
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
It sucks, so much. The white on gray contrast is ridiculous and hard to read. Even at the lowest setting, it's so bright that my normal bright mode theme is actually darker on the pulldown menu 😡
JohnK1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

Indeed, really a bummer, I want it ALL BACK.

I believe this is a bug because the drop down notification and status area goes all black when dark mode is DISABLED!

PLEASE FIX ASAP. Thank you.

LadyK215
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Agreed. Glad this issue isn't just me. Sammy, allow for Light, Gray, and Dark modes. This "Gray" mode can be the dimmer, lighter color. Dark mode needs to be what the name intimates...DARK.

Thanks.
LadyK215
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
So, I found a workaround with this "dark mode." It's in settings under "accessibility" and called "vision enhancements." Then go to "display mode." Users can change the display mode so that the notification menu is actually dark, not a quasi-dark, but dark, like the night. Huh, what a novel idea? 🫢

I'm glad for this, as that bright default gray background (posing as a dark theme) has the worst contrast. It's literally visually painful to look at. 🤳🏾 👀 😭

Hope this helps. 👍🏾