JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Error during restore

(Topic created: 06-07-2024 02:45 PM)
VQVA2Vm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

We just changed service providers on our two S23 Ultra phones.  Mine went find and everything works.

Unfortunately, for some unknown reason my wife's phone did a factory reset.  I went through the same steps as on mine, and the activation tech had no idea why it would happen.

But the problem here is restoring from Samsung Cloud  It automatically backed up last night, so it's pretty current.  I started the restore, and after about 10 minutes I went to move it and guess I accidentally hit the STOP button.  The restore stopped with all but Settings, Home screen and Apps completed.  It showed 41  apps were to be restored but stopped after 7 apps.

Restarting the restore, the Settings and Home Screen seemed to complete OK.  But apps showed only 7 apps now, and when app 7 was 99% done, it displayed a message indicating an error i the restore process.

So it looks like it is trying to restore from a file created by the previous restore.  At least that's my only guess.  Is there any way to go back and restore from the backup created last night?  My wife is missing a couple of important data files associated with one of the apps.

System has the latest update

TIA!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

You can try restoring the Google backup.  Unfortunately, Samsung only saves one backup file at a time, so if it backed up last night and then it backed up this morning (which it will do when you do a factory reset), you will only get access to the last backup unless at some point you made a backup to an external device via smart switch. This morning's backup should be the same as last night's, unless you are saying the current backup happened after the aborted restore.

Google syncs your data and may still have the files you were looking for.  I would suggest going to settings/backup and restore/google drive/restore data and see if that mitigates the damage. 

View solution in context

5 Replies
GaryB82
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
I would suggest factory resetting and trying to restore again

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments āœ“āœ“āœ“.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and āœ“āœ“āœ“ to Accept as Solution button.

VQVA2Vm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Thanks, but that won't work.  It's trying to restore from a backup taken this morning and does not give me any option to restore from last night's backup  And I'm already in deep **bleep** with my wife because she lost some important data.

Solution
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

You can try restoring the Google backup.  Unfortunately, Samsung only saves one backup file at a time, so if it backed up last night and then it backed up this morning (which it will do when you do a factory reset), you will only get access to the last backup unless at some point you made a backup to an external device via smart switch. This morning's backup should be the same as last night's, unless you are saying the current backup happened after the aborted restore.

Google syncs your data and may still have the files you were looking for.  I would suggest going to settings/backup and restore/google drive/restore data and see if that mitigates the damage. 

VQVA2Vm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Not what I wanted to hear but I'll have to live with it.  Yes, the backup seemed to occur after the aborted restore.  But my wife won't let me try a restore from Google.  She's afraid I'll mess it up even more. 

Thanks.

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Is she already lost important data there's no possible way you can screw it up even more. Before I had Samsung phones I had only used Google backup and that was the only thing that restored on any new phone that I got. Since Google syncs rather than creates a backup copy it's still feasible that certain data may still be there.
0 Likes