Options
Galaxy S23

How can I unconnect Google drive from my photo album

8 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

You can turn off the backing up/syncing for your photos (or anything else you don't want backed up to Google.  Settings/Google Click the all services tab, scroll down to backup, scroll down to Apps, click on photos & videos and toggle off the backup.  Your photos will no longer sync/backup to Google. If you really do not want your previous photos in Google, then you can either open up the Google Photos app on your phone and delete all your photos or go to photos.google.com on the web and delete your photos and empty the trash.  There does not appear to be an easy way to mass delete in either the app or the website.

kaab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thank you so much!
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

Oh, I did forget to mention that if you delete your photos from Google Photos, they will also delete from your phone, so, you might want to download any photos you want to keep to another device until you can add them back to your phone.

The camera saves your photos to a folder in internal storage called DCIM and from there, both Gallery and Google Photos can access them.  Deleting from the gallery app or the Google photos app will delete them from your phone, but keep them in your backup location.  If you delete the photos from Google photos on the web, they will also be deleted from your phone.

kaab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Oh didn't know that thank you.
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

It's also possible that just desyncing the photos will cause them no longer to show in Google photos since they no longer be synced. But I'd stay on the safe side and download any photos I wanted to keep. You can do this by doing a data transfer of just the photos in the DCIM photo to another device like a flash drive or computer and you can add them back later when you've done your Google Purge. Incidentally, since the Google Photos app is only a photo reader, you will still be able to view any photos you have on your phone with the app, but you will not be able to view them on the web.  

kaab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thank you for giving me all this help. The photos were affecting my emails.
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
I don't even understand how that's possible but if you think that that's the case just proceed with caution
kaab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
It was the storage. The storage limit was exceeding so my emails were getting rejected