JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Navigation bar settings, swipe gestures removed, AOD

(Topic created: 04-03-2024 12:15 PM)
userAfEtZa4BFV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Why did they update this? Who asked for them to change the navigation bar gesture settings? Before you could just swipe up for the navigation bar gestures, up for home, up for back, up for all apps. 

Now they changed that to swiping left and right for back and all apps and up from home. The problem with that is swiping left on my phone while in an app like Facebook now confuses my phone and it doesn't know if I want to go back or swipe into a whole other area of the app I'm in. Also it doesn't even work good. I swipe right for back and it just closes everything. Lol I swipe left for all apps and it takes me to the home screen. This update sucks so bad. Tried to contact customer care and the guy tells me to reset app preferences. Now all my apps want me to update the settings when I open them . 

He tried to take remote control to reset my entire device smh 
129 Replies
Ellin
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
It's back this morning with new update
andyy98
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
Nooo i agree!! I miss mine tooo
0 Likes
Members_wXSAjZ5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Go to settings and search for navigation. Disable assistant app. The gestures are slightly different, for instance, the back button is now on the sides of the screen. The gestures are illustrated on the top right. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
EclecticREiN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Where is the uniqueness of Android/Samsung? Some of the challenges we face:

1. When typing, it is a far reach to use the upper "back" button and fumbling of the phone with one hand. The side swipe to go back is a problem when the keyboard is open, you have to either:
    • Swipe up higher or
    • Close the keyboard first before swiping back
  2. Sliding the app drawer left or right activates the forward/return feature going back to the home screen
  3. Single quick slide to return to home screen is no longer functional
  4. Swipe up long hold before most recent apps are visible vs quick swipe up in the corner to view most recent
  5. The traditional outdated navigation bar takes up extra screen space, and by research and analytics the least chosen navigation type
  6. Accidental edge touch immediately navigates the forward/back on the screen edge

It would be advantageous under the Swipe Gestures to add the option to use the 3 sliding lines with an order just as the traditional navigation.

I prefer to keep the phone clean and not inundate the OS and resources by adding an app. Less one that has to be purchased, changes the home screen and resets the UI due to resource intensive operations. I chose the Samsung and Android for a reason. If I wanted an iPhone, I would therefore purchase one.

There is so much more you can do with an Android phone and a simple request to keep loyal customers is worthy of such a preference. This is not a change, nor is it a major update to a functioning Operating System, simply a request to revert 6 lines of code.

Thank you for listening and apologize if there was too much detail.

userSB93IzG3mI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Well done, EclecticREiN!

This is a very well written and educated description of the problem Samsung has introduced by removing this option.

The minimized three-line-navigation is one major reason I stick with Samsung. It baffles my mind that UI designers can't see the problems and user frustration they introduce with side swiping to go "back".  I like to joke that the developers must not actually use the UI they develop... otherwise they would understand why this is such a bad user interface (for all the reasons you started).

Think about it... Samsung... it's literally the most used function on our phones! A few extra options here can't be a bad thing.

That said, (developers, if you are listening) I think it would be an interesting experiment to allow a short-left-swipe across the home button line. This could be an interesting compromise.

userpwZnK9Klwo
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Swipe gestures were deleted and all the options from Good Lock are all **bleep** up since now everything is changed. Why did you regress your ui design by deleting swipe gestures. I would love to meet the idiotic team that decided the value in regression and inefficiency. 
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
Samsung Goodlock is a first party samsung customization app, also please search before posting next time1712494117475.jpg
0 Likes
slowguy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Will Goodlock bring back the ability to change the AOD clock font size, etc?
0 Likes
SpacePapii
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
After most recent update there was a change to swipe gestures making it absolutely horrible to navigate my phone like normal it's an absolute headache not being able to swipe to go back to my last page and not being able to swipe to pull up all my open apps essentially it is supposed to do these same functions but it almost seems unresponsive. I have tried adjusting the settings to make it as sensitive as possible and still not having better results anybody out there have any suggestions or fixes for this issue? 
Saikura
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Agreed, swipe gestures changes and its absolutely horrendous to navigate now. Now you cannot go back, I have the same issue. They need to change this back.