Original topic:

Please, Please, Please give us Selective Spot Focus

(Topic created: 04-02-2024 06:29 AM)
Options
Galaxy S23
I do a lot of nature, up-close, near macro photography. I am so tired of constantly fighting the focusing process that sharpens what's behind the object in the center of the screen versus what is in the middle of the screen. I want a function like the aperture lock but call it focus point/lock. I have played with Expert Raw and it doesn't do the trick. I have tried turning off 'auto lens switching' but that doesn't seem to do anything/still keeps changing lenses. Attaching a sample photo. You can see that instead of focusing on the tulips, it focused on the fencing behind the tulips. If I could have tapped on the tulip in the foreground to focus on it, I would have gotten the photo I wanted. I tried at least three different angles to get the focus I wanted but gave up.

12 Replies
Options
Galaxy S23
FWIW, my Note 10 Plus did a way better job of up close/macro like photography then either my S22 Ultra or S23 Ultra and don't get me started on how big of a piece of **bleep** the S20 Ultra was, which I sent back after 3 weeks of photography **bleep**.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@zoltar_speaks Have you tried Pro mode? It gives you 3 different focus modes, Center, Multi, and Manual. 

Also when taking a photo of a single object like that, you may want to give portrait mode a shot. It is designed to give focus priority to a main object in the foreground. 

Options
Galaxy S23
Yes I have tried Pro mode. IMHO there's not a lot of difference between ER and Pro with the exception of the astrophotography and ND filter in ER. It would be nice if they just combined all these into one place instead I have to go digging through three different sets of options and programs.
Options
Galaxy S23
Also, "Center, Multi, and Manual" still doesn't give me what I want which is being able to point to one specific area of the screen, not necessarily the center, and give me focus there.
Options
Galaxy S23
Long press the screen when taking a picture to lock :locked: focus in the desired area is still there. Are you looking for something else? 1712068847174.jpg
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
That is not a focus lock, that is an exposure lock.1712069598363.jpg
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
That's a focus lock. You can still change exposure by sliding the slide bar.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
I do not agree. Everywhere I have searched for says that is the exposure point (set the exposure based on that one area which is used for scenes like dark or back lit subjects) or exposure lock (set the exposure and lock it so if you move the camera it still keeps the value) Not a focus point. Google it yourself and you will see the same answer. The only time you have focus tracking is when you turn it on but that is not the same as saying you want to focus in one specific portion or area of the screen.
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
When you touch the viewfinder, it will focus and adjust exposure to that point.

However, if you touch and hold it and the circle changes from white to yellow, the focus is lock but expossure can be changed through the slider. See first GIF, I locked the focus on the bottle and when I removed the bottle out, background was still blur and not refucusing.

The second GIF shows you that you can change the exposure with the slider so the yellow circle doesn't mean exposure lock.

The third GIF shows that the background was still blurred so it didn't refocus after the bottle was removed, but the exposure could be changed.1712097771610.gif1712097817676.gif1712097970855.gif
0 Likes