Original topic:

Purchased s23 fe from metro pcs, didnt boot device or activate yet

(Topic created: 04-26-2024 03:17 PM)
tarasov777
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Somewhere I read that samsung devices come unlocked,  and only become locked after inserting the carriers sim and activating the device. Is this true? If so, are there any known work around to be able to use the device and have it be unlocked and not stuck with the carrier locked sim?

13 Replies
Options
Galaxy S23
I'm pretty sure you can unlock it again if you wanna switch carriers
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
If you buy it from a carrier they are locked from the get go. You have to meet their requirements to unlock.
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

They only come unlocked if you order from Samsung Directly if your phone model number ends in U1 it's unlocked and you can swap sims anytime you want to,  If it ends in U its a carrier locked device and they are they ones that have to unlock it to use on other carriers they normally unlock after the device is fully paid off 

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

Options
Galaxy S23
Shoot i forgot ya it's only unlocked if you purchase it directly from Samsung but I'm sure you can unlock the phone but very few carriers will allowed to unlock it
0 Likes
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy S23

Carriers will only unlock if the device is fully paid for.

If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

Options
Galaxy S23
Exactly that's what I'm trying to say I forgot to include it
0 Likes
tarasov777
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Well, I was able to download a Google fi Sim for their free trial and it's working with no issues. However if I booted the device with metros Sim card, it wouldn't even allow me to download and use any other Sim like it is right now.
0 Likes
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy S23
What's the complete model number

0 Likes
tarasov777
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Sm-s711u , bought it this morning at metro pcs, which they lock all devices for the first 180 days of service.. but I convinced the worker to allow me to walk out with the device and sim card without activating the metros sim. I came home, and it's running on google fi right now 🤷‍:male_sign:
0 Likes