Original topic:

RCS not falling back to SMS in Google Messages

(Topic created: 06-14-2024 09:00 PM)
enuenu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

A relative has Google Messages pre-installed on a new Samsung S23. I have always used Samsung Messages on my older S10e.

After many experiments to work out why my relative, other friends and I are not receiving each other's messages on occasion since we began using RCS in Google Messages, I've discovered that when the receiving phone is not connected to the Internet, RCS is not automatically falling back to SMS, even when that option is selected in RCS message settings. This defeats the purpose of the setting in Google Messages that states that the message will be sent as an SMS if RCS fails. It doesn't work.

During my experiments I've seen the Google Messages app display a message saying that receiver will receive your message when they are back online. To me the fact that this message is displayed indicates the app will NOT automatically fall back to SMS when RCS fails due to connectivity issues, even though there is a setting within the app that says it has this functionality. This seems contradictory and is confusing.

I downloaded Google Messages from Play Store to allow use of RCS. However, I think I will go back to Samsung Messages as I never had these problems before switching. Samsung Messages seems to flip between using the data connection (blue message bubble) and SMS (green message bubble) instantly as the connection status of both phones' dictates. Those I know who are using Google Messages have just switched RCS off altogether to avoid problems and therefore every message they send is via SMS. 

Any advice on this issue appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

0 Likes
4 Replies
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
I would suggest reaching out to Google support for help with the Google Messages app they may need to fix something in the app since I've noticed the same offline message.

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

jphunter916
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Won't send to most phones in rcs
enuenu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Thanks, have posted on a Google forum with no response yet. It seems Samsung are installing this app as the default messaging app on some new phones. The only solution I can see is to delete the Google Messages app and go back to using the Samsung Messages app.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

I've had no problem with Google RCS either between users who don't use RCS or those that do. Possibly because no one I know is ever not connected to the internet. We all have unlimited text and data and wi fi at home, and no one turns off their phone. Never had a message been not delivered and I have received, as far as I know, anything anyone sends me. If I don't, and it's important people just FB message me to be sure I got it.
I've always only used google messages, and it never gave me grief. I categorically refuse to use Samsung messages because I think it's absolutely horrible. Tried it once or twice and hated it. It's going away soon anyway, so I hear.

0 Likes