Original topic:

S23 Ultra cannot change cameras while recording at 4k60

(Topic created: 08-14-2023 09:49 AM)
Markxy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Hello!

I'm frequently annoyed that I cannot switch between the camera lenses when recording a video at 4k 60fps. I don't want to record at 30fps, neither do i want to record at 1080p. The whole camera experience when filming experience feels very underwhelming - not being able to utilize most of the cameras.

Each camera is able to record at 4k60, so I don't see the problem?

When is such a "feature" going to be implemented?

Thanks,
Mark

8 Replies
JBTechfanatic
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
If you use the pro video mode you are able to switch lenses depending on your phone as an example this is the full five you can use the telephoto lens and the white lens at 60 FPS 4K. Also don't forget to try out directors view it's such a great feature to use all your cameras at the same timeScreenshot_20230814_105058_Camera.jpg
0 Likes
Markxy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I don't seem to have these W / T controls in Pro Video WHILE recording unfortunately. From your screenshot it looks like you're not recording either, otherwise the "Director's View - Pro Video - More" part of the Camera app UI would not show.

Director's View also records in 1080p with no way to change it it seems so it's no different.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
These aren't just different lenses, they're different sensors.

Shifting on the fly is not going to happen.
Dmitriy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Really? Then how is the same exact situation with shifting on the fly perfectly capable at 30fps? I mean I understand there might be a .2 second delay, but we should at least have the option
0 Likes
Markxy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Sure, but you get what I meant.

Everything works in 4k30. To me it seems they created a 1500€ phone with 4 great cameras, while still cutting marginal costs so it's deliberately a lacking experience.

SyCoREAPER
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
Its a hardware limitation, not cost cutting. Recording at 4k60 requires a good chunk of processing. Just compare battery usage of 4k60 vs say 1080/60
Markxy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I was really hoping one of the big patches that they released would solve this but I was mistaken 😞

brbic1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

I second this, if these phones can do 8k 30fps surely they can just add transitions while recording, its not like the 23 ultra is under powered or anything the iPhone 12 pro could switch lenses while recording 4k 60, Samsung needs to add this if they want people to get serious about filming on Samsung imo. (for the time being I'm going to use my old iPhone purely because of this.)