JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S23 ultra camera over exposed

(Topic created: 04-11-2023 01:28 PM)
Ash45
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

Notice top three window panes on the right side. There are bricks on the wall but in the picture it's totally blown up.

Is anyone facing camera oversaturation issue with s23 ultra ? 
148 Replies
blazeBark
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
It's a software issue due to the way that Samsung's built-in camera app "enhances" the photos, yes - download and install a Google Camera port from a reputable source like XDA Developers to get DSLR-like quality on your photos without any of Samsung's "enhancements."
0 Likes
user3n8Qp3z0O7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thank you. I turned off enhancements but wasn't sure what to download to help.
0 Likes
user3n8Qp3z0O7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Not sure where to look fir correct download? Thanks again.
0 Likes
user2KBwgcVgSJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
It is a piece of junk!! My S21 was a Great camera...until 8 months later it wouldn't focus and gave a halo aura around objects. So I saved up and bought this crappy S23 Ultra and it is the same Brand New. I've had to fight to get them to replace them 3 flipping times!!! They - and Verizon!!! - want me to think it's Me! That I expect Too Much from a cell phone for its camera!! Then Don't Advertise it as such, if it can't even take a sharp focused photo!!! That's The Basic rule of a dang camera feature - that it's in Focus!! When is a replacement that's Not Defective coming out, and how do we get this useless thing replaced without spending another flipping $1700???!!!
0 Likes
Schykle
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Galaxy S23 Ultra

While the higher megapixel options in the camera are sometimes really incredible to use, there is a serious problem that they have where reds, pinks, oranges, and purples can come out extremely oversaturated to the point of being blown out.

This is particularly noticable when photographic flowers. This makes a feature which would be particularly incredible for flowers almost completely useless.

What's more infuriating is that when the photo is captured, it looks totally fine... And not until the processing completes does it suddenly become oversaturated and useless.

I've attached a 12MP and 50MP photo of the same flower for comparison. I've been dealing with this issue for months and no updates have solved it. It's so incredibly frustrating.

12MP photo which is fine.

50MP image which looks almost glitchy. The darker parts on the flower are just hot, unusable pools of pixels missing important details.

ArturJarosz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Hi all,
I got my S23 Ultra some time ago, and honestly, I find the photography experience with that device not that great.
One of the issues I have is the processing of the pictures in 50Mpix mode, no matter if that is the base Camera App or ExpertRAW. One thing is that they are overprocessed and oversharpened, but on top of that very often there are visible halos and artifacts, e.g. in the sky. Here is an example. Side-by-side view of 12 Mpix (left) and 50 Mpix (right) from the Camera app. On the right one, there is a halo around buildings.

ArturJarosz_0-1681244395213.png

Again, 12 vs 50. Look how uneven the color of the sky is on the right one.

ArturJarosz_1-1681244546345.png

And the next one, with some color binding dark blotch next to the building in the sky.

ArturJarosz_2-1681244620090.png

Happens also with ExpertRAW (talking about JPGs):

ArturJarosz_3-1681244782544.png

Did anyone notice the same thing? Scene optimization does not make that go away. I will appreciate any help or tips, on how to get rid of it. So far, I just use GCAM instead of the Samsung app, as I find it more reliable.

userLq0ixZYf2r
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

I must not be seeing what you're seeing. All of those look fine to me. Not seeing any 'halos' around the buildings and the sky looks like it's supposed to... at least in my experience with skies.

ArturJarosz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Maybe I'm just too used to a more natural look from DSLRs... But I will try to explain myself. You don't even have to open pictures. The always more natural one is on the left side. 
First row - if you follow building lines, you will see that there is a lighter color of the sky following that line as well. 12 Mpix image does not that that issue. I have selected areas so that you can go back and look at them on the pictures that I have posted.

ArturJarosz_1-1681289295943.png

In the second row, look at the clouds. On the right side, you have a darker area around them. Again, not visible on the left side.
Third row - noticeable gradation of the color of the sky, and some dark spot next to the building.

ArturJarosz_3-1681289453184.png

And last one, adding a more natural one to compare. Look how on the right side there are dark areas around clouds, and light around trees. Again, visible only on 50Mpix output. 12 is completely fine.

ArturJarosz_4-1681289786725.png

ArturJarosz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Seems like there is an issue with that and Samsung is going to address it: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s23_ultra_hdr_camera_issue_fix_may_2023_software_update-news...

carloway
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Yes I agree and it totally bad šŸ‘Ž