Original topic:

S23 with one ui 5.1 working fine but 6.0 was bad news

(Topic created: 02-22-2024 06:00 PM)
Freeman93
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I wonder if anyone can find out if samsung knows about the bugs with one ui 6 and the s23? 
The main issue I had is with the way it handles mobile network connections.

Here are two things I noticed since updating to 6.0 on my s23. 

1)  The phone can't find a signal if its weak,  but other phones can.  The previous version 5.1 was able to connect and make calls no problem with that same signal.

2)  When leaving wifi,  the phone isn't capable of connecting to 5g unless you put it in airplane mode first and the turn off airplane mode.

5 Replies
Kimber06
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I agree
0 Likes
NoneYa916
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
Unfortunately I haven't had those issues. I have 0 issues with going from WiFi to 5g when 5g is available. As far as poor reception I haven't had any issues there either, granted I can't think of any areas I have poor reception. Have you tried resetting your network settings to see if that helps? My guess is you didn't reset your phone before upgrading to Ui 6.0 which has always been a "best practice" when doing an upgrade of Android version (yes it sucks we all know).
0 Likes
Freeman93
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

So I find it hard to believe that you can't find any areas with poor reception.    What do you do, just walk around a cell tower all day? You don't go anywhere?  Lol  I'm pretty sure anyone can find areas with poor reception...

As for resetting network settings.  Not only did I do that but I also factory reset the phone. None of that made a difference. 
I then got a replacement s23 that still has one ui 5.1 and that phone works great in the same places I was having issues with the previous s23. 

So yes its possible my s23 was defective..but having found some others online who also noticed signal problems with the one 6 update on the s23 I think its most likely the software that causes the issue. 
When you go from wifi to 5g, are you on a zoom call at the same time ?  
I think before 6.0 it would connect to 5g, but now it won't...it'll just lose connection. 
I found many people saying they have to turn airplane mode on and off again to get back 5g. 

0 Likes
NoneYa916
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
Well I don't use zoom very often and not on my phone when I do but as far as WiFi to cellular no issues there. As far as reception I am using Verizon's towers (Xfinity mobile) and I can't think of anywhere locally that Verizon has any reception issues at least in my metro area (Sacramento, CA.) I could try going up to the hills and then I'd have to poll someone with Verizon's service and non Samsung (or not 6.0 ) to compare reception. I will say as far as reception goes there was no difference between 5 and 6 in bars. Granted there shouldn't be as software doesn't affect an antenna 's strength but... Shrug weirder things have happened. Back to calls I will say while I don't use zoom I do use Wi-Fi calling and I can turn Wi-Fi off while on a call and it switches to cellular as expected. The radio switches connection normally in that regard. When you say you "found many people" saying anything you have to realize to you many people might be a group of 5 but when those with your particular phone the numbers are in the 10's of thousands you have to take your piling on a larger number. If you looked at the community before the upgrade I guarantee you'd find people with similar complaints even before the update... Just throwing a bit of analytics out. Hopefully the new phone continues working properly for you.
0 Likes
Freeman93
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I write software for a living. 
so let me explain how easy it is that one ui 6 causes issues with my s23 and in my area. I live in the hills,  the signal strength is never 5 bars or 4 bars here..its usually 2 bars.   
Software determines when it should switch from wifi to 5g, when it thinks the signal is weak enough to switch or strong enough to stay on.  
The day after I updated to 6.0, I noticed my phone wasn't switching to 5g quickly like it used to while on a zoom call over wifi.  I noticed this because every tuesday at 9am I had this zoom call, but I had to drop off kids at school at 9:15am, so I was always staying on my zoom call as I drove them to school...but every since the one ui 6 update, my phone would lose connection until I got out of the zoom call, and goggled airplane mode. 
Now that I'm back on an s23 with one ui 5.1 it no longer does that.  I can stay on the call and it barely gets interrupted...just a brief second or two while it switches seamlessly to 5g. 
Do you see why I dont' like the 6.0 software? because it changed my phone's behavior in a very negative way. 
It may seem like a small thing, but its annoying and why should newer software make my phone less useful?