Original topic:

Samsung messages: lack of clarity in settings

(Topic created: 04-15-2024 09:16 AM)
Pfirsich
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I just got off the chat help via the Samsung Messages app. It was the It was the most ludicrous experience I've had in some time. The agents kept insisting the problem was with my mobile carrier! This does not make any sense whatsoever when it is a problem with the app, the Samsung messages app, and the clarity as to the settings, whether they are on or off .

I wanted to check to see if my read receipts are off. When you go into the settings, main settings, of the Samsung Messages app, you find they have upgraded the settings to a slide switch, and you can specifically and clearly see it is on or off. However, when you go into each individual chat or group chat, that is not the case. They are still using wording. For instance, when I go to see the status of read receipts in a text conversation I am having, instead of a simple and clearly understood slide switch, it says, "Don't send read confirmation". The user is left to wonder if this should be tapped to disable a read receipt, or is this giving you the state, currently, of the read receipt function. I have asked this very same question of the app for years, and have never been able to get a concise response. 

So while Samsung has upgraded the app with slide switches in theapps main Settings menu, this did not happen for all settings in the app, particularly when you go to take a look at the settings for each separate chat and chat group. We are left to decipher and scratch our heads as to what is really going on: Is the read receipt function enabled or disabled? Inquiring minds would love to know! 

I did not receive a proper answer from the Samsung chat help. Maybe someone here can help with this, and just maybe Samsung will go back at a redress this issue, replacing the verbiage with a clear, simple, and decipherable slide switch.

2 Replies
SammieG
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I gotta say, it seems like a real hit or miss with the Samsung help team.
0 Likes
St3v3C
Sun
Options
Galaxy S23
As I understand it, this is a "what you see is what you get". If you see it say "don't send read receipt", then you're not sending read receipts.
0 Likes