Original topic:

Secure folder questions

(Topic created: 03-12-2023 11:20 AM)
Dlpsr
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
I had not ever used secure folder. But both Samsung and Google have one. Google's is in Files app and called Safe folder, similar, less features and probably borrowed from Samsung Knox.

Although hesitant with everyone's issues with this folder, I dived in with hopes of extra security and that the thing was stable on the S23 Ultra.

Instead of how to use it, Samsung says here you go figure it out yourself.

So, I toyed with it. Moved Amazon shopping in, logged in and set it up, seems to work ok.
Uninstalled it from my home page.

Added it back to home from within secure folder and it also works, even requires the secure folder pin or my fingerprint to open it. Also tagged as a secure folder app. Sort of app locking.

Still playing and locking down. Security is hard work. Yubikeys etc.

One feature I'm extremely curious about is the Secure folder Configuration features. Caught it on Reddit or somewhere.

Use with caution. Tapping the secure folder name inside secure folder with your finger 10 times opens this configuration feature page inside secure folder. Lab thing I guess.🤷

Some logging features were already checked, with many more available. I'm wondering what's being logged and where the logs go to?
It's supposed to reside on my phone only.🤔

There's a check box for backing up on all devices but no explanation I can find about this configuration feature. Currently unchecked. Does it backup your secure folder if checked? I'm currently scared to touch anything in there for fear of breaking things. I've got a lot of apps and stuff there now and hard work to get there.

It's difficult enough if I switch phones etc. Moving everything back to home for backup.

If only Samsung could or would be more informative and transparent.

7 Replies
BobbyCarra
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
That menu is to assure some logging is enabled to t/s issues. The logs do not contain sensitive information or personal data. The back up feature was removed some time ago since Samsung didn't want to be responsible for the content being saved on their servers nor did they want legal complications from authorities should they need to comply surrendering user's secure folder data. Users need to backup the data manually.
0 Likes
Dlpsr
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
What does the development feature, enable cloud backup all device mean then?
0 Likes
BobbyCarra
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
Which developer feature are you referring to? No cloud backup is available for secure folder anymore.
0 Likes
Dlpsr
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
So they say. It's at or toward the bottom of the development features after tapping Secure Folder 10 times.
I was tempted to see if it turns on and does anything but haven't yet.
0 Likes
BobbyCarra
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
I don't think it does anything, I would not worry about it. Your data is safe in secure folder.
0 Likes
spacepatrol
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I posted a question about this yesterday and low and behold its gone.
Dlpsr
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
I wondered how long mine would last.
0 Likes