Original topic:

Still don't have the capability for Text Copying

(Topic created: 02-07-2024 02:39 PM)
userzoSgWZhWj2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

It is 2024, and this phone still does not have the capability to copy specific text from messages or other displayed data. I pretty much never want to copy an entire message. With current functionality, I have to either remember each specific bit of information and type it in manually, or I have to copy the entire message and erase all the unnecessary bits. In other situations, I would like to copy text from images or websites, and this phone often cannot copy the information. Please improve this functionality. 

11 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@userzoSgWZhWj2 One workaround is to take a screenshot. Then you can extract the text from the photo in the Gallery. 

0 Likes
userzoSgWZhWj2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
That makes sense, but then I have to manage an ever-increasing number of screenshots going into my photo album. This billion-dollar company should be able to manage basic editing functionality without making me go through the additional step of deleting a photo every time I want to copy something.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Bruh why aren't you using the Universal Copy app? It's so good and it even has an ocr feature so you can copy from images, but some features are paid only so I dunno if that ones free.
0 Likes
userzoSgWZhWj2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I shouldn't have to download a 3rd party app to a $1k+ phone just to manage basic text editing.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Which messaging app are you using? You can certainly select and copy text from a message in Samsung's app. I assume Google's app has a similar function. I don't use Google Messages so I'm not really sure.

With images containing text, OneUI 6 added the little T in a circle to the Gallery (see my right hand screenshot). Tap that and you can copy text from a screenshot or photo (scanned documents, etc.)1707353240458.jpg1707353240479.jpg1707353240506.jpg
userzoSgWZhWj2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Thank you for the tip about messages. I have done the screenshot way; however, it's unreasonable for a billion-dollar company that charges this much for a device to force users to take a picture of their screen, go to a different app, copy the data, go back to the original app to paste the data, then return to the photo app to delete the photo all to copy some text.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Extracting text from an image in the Gallery seems to be primarily intended for use with photos of documents, which is the way I usually use it.

Your description of how clunky the screenshot process is suggests that you may not know about the screenshot toolbar. Go to Settings > Advanced features > Screenshots and screen recordings. The first option at the top of the page is a toggle for the screenshot toolbar.

When this option is toggled on, the toolbar will appear briefly at the bottom of the screen so that you can immediately edit your screenshot without having to go find and open the Gallery app. If for some reason you do want to open the Gallery app anyway, the circular button on the left end of the toolbar will allow you to open your screenshot in any image editing app installed on your phone (Samsung Gallery, Google Photos, Snapseed, etc).

I couldn't figure out how to get the toolbar to show up in screenshots, but I did find a web page with an image of an older version of it. (The current version of the toolbar has one or two more buttons).

https://tunecomp.net/disable-the-screenshot-toolbar-galaxy/
0 Likes
userzoSgWZhWj2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I am familiar with the process and the toolbar, which is the exact same process. I have to take a screenshot, and I must navigate to a new screen to open the photo where the toolbar appears. After extracting the appropriate text, I still have to then go back to the original screen to paste the text, and I still have to separately delete the photo by either swiping down to delete it from the notification or by going to the photos app. Even using the toolbar, it's a ridiculous process.
0 Likes
userra
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
what about Google lens app
0 Likes