Original topic:

Unable to uninstall Google Messages

(Topic created: 02-14-2024 09:07 AM)
user7rRkACJ8U5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
My phone did NOT come with Google messages. I manually installed it for spam protection. However, with some of the issues lately, I have been trying to entirely remove it and reinstall it. Not just remove updates, but completely remove it from my device (S23+), whether or not I plan to reinstall. It worked the last time I had issues two weeks ago. When I went to try again today, it now refuses to let me. I can only uninstall updates and disable it. 
First of all, if my phone didn't come with it, it shouldn't be mandatory to have, regardless of Samsung updates.
Second of all, why does Samsung now mandate two messaging apps when you only use one? Both Google messages and Samsung messages are disable only apps. Both have features that the other lacks, but you can only use one at a time, making it useless for people who don't use one or the other. At least let people remove whichever they don't use so it's not wasting the limited space on the phones (since memory is no longer expandable 🙄). I just think it's pretty messed up that we already have an extremely limited amount of phone space since they took away external storage, and now they're forcing us to use even more of that phone space for useless apps. Cloud space does not equate to phone space, especially when you have to pay for it. I already paid $800+ for my phone, why should I then have to add a subscription to be able to keep things on it? 

So, does anyone know how to get the app OFF of my phone? Not disabled, GONE. REMOVED. NO LONGER PRESENT. 
Without factory resetting the phone, as I don't want to lose my settings, messages, notes (since apparently those aren't backed up anymore 🙄 just keep digging that hole deeper, Samsung), etc etc

Appreciate any attempts at help (not anything that tells me to suck it up and get over it, like the creepy emoji I've been stuck with since my phone updated, as well as the phone app making it entirely too easy to video call by mistake)
Capricenls
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I agree, I installed Google messages myself, and I am able to uninstall and reinstall on my S23 Ultra. But I can't speak for S23+
Caprice Neals
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Verbum going by your title, whether self named or given to you. Do you have any real connections with Samsung? I do understand things in the corporate world move very slowly. But there seems to be so many issues with subjects like this and blocked notifications, etc. Any way to make Samsun more aware and push for faster fixes? I also realize some issues are results from inexperienced users but many are on the programming side. It's getting to be a royal pain to work around some of these issues and deterring me and others from future Samsung purchases.
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
My rank of Samsung Care Ambassador was given by Samsung in recognition of being friendly and helpful here in the Community, but I am not formally affiliated with either. As such, I don't really have any insider knowledge of Samsung's plans going forward in this regard. I'm sure they are aware of certain users who desire more direct control over their devices.
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks. I have gone into support and filed error reports. But in the corporate world it always feels like the customer can't really effect change unless you reach people responsible for the change. All too often today, talking to 1st level or even 2nd level customer service feels like a whole lot of getting nowhere. And my experience with programmers is they usually do not understand what users are looking for.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Before trying to uninstall, try making sure your default dialer/phone app is whichever one you want to use. Restart the phone and then try to uninstall.
user7rRkACJ8U5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!
0 Likes
user7rRkACJ8U5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
An update: it did not work. Thanks for trying, though
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Many apps are pre-installed by the carrier besides the manufacturer. Check with your carrier or where you purchased the phone from.
Other than that install whatever you want to use in its place. Then disable the app if possible (may or may not be able to). It will still be taking up storage and continuously ask to be updated. But at least you will be able to use your preference. Don't forget to make your preference the default
0 Likes
user7rRkACJ8U5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I can disable but I wanted to remove it entirely and see if that helped more than just uninstalling updates. Disabling still leaves it on the device.
It wasn't pre-installed on my phone. I installed it and could uninstall two weeks ago. As far as I'm aware, I haven't had any updates since OneUI6, which leads me to believe it's a Samsung thing that had the code and they just pushed through to have it be mandatory.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Understood. As I said in some circumstances the app(s) do not have the ability to uninstall . Which is a bummer due to storage capacity. If you didn't try, go to the play store and try uninstall from there. But in your case it very well may not.
It is an annoyance that some pre-installed apps can't be removed totally. I hate that manufacturers and carriers do that.
0 Likes