Original topic:

Update 6.1 Deleted 1yr of Messages

(Topic created: 04-03-2024 01:30 PM)
Jorjimodels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Updated last night. Had an issue so I cleared the system cache. Suddenly I wake up and boom all my messages from last February - Now are gone, except photos. Tried to restore but it must have saved after the problem.

Is there any way to fix this at all? I have absolutely no idea why it happened, I've reset system cache before with no issues. Is there any way of obtaining older system backups on samsung cloud? Assuming it's a lost cause but wanted to try.
22 Replies
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23
People, please use an SMS backup program. If your messages are important to you, its the only way to guarantee you will still have them going forward, even if you are unsuccessful in recovering what you recently lost. I have been using SMS Backup & Restore and recommrnd it, but there are others in the play store you can use.
Jorjimodels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
^^^ 100%, it's really the only reliable way to keep them safe
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23

I just noticed a setting in Samsung Messages (deep in). Is it possible the update put this setting on by default, and that's why your messages are gone?  

settings/more settings/Delete old Messages.  If so, make sure you toggle it off, won't help you get back what you lost, but could be an explanation.

Screenshot_20240411_120130_Messages.jpg

0 Likes