JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Voice to text on keyboard

(Topic created: 03-31-2024 05:36 PM)
QueenMercury
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Ever since the update, the voice to text option on my keyboard is GONE and it does not give me the option to put it back. Anyone else? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
Keyboard button is now in the bottom left corner if it's not show open your settings and go to general management and select keyboard list and default and toggle on keyboard button on Navigation bar1711933203808.jpg1711933203840.jpg

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

View solution in context

9 Replies
Solution
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy S23
Keyboard button is now in the bottom left corner if it's not show open your settings and go to general management and select keyboard list and default and toggle on keyboard button on Navigation bar1711933203808.jpg1711933203840.jpg

If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

QueenMercury
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Ahhhh! Thank you !!! 🙂
0 Likes
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy S23
You're welcome. Can you please mark it as solved and Thanks for being a Loyal Samsung Member

QueenMercury
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Okay. I think I did.
Riffiki
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Cool, is there a way to put it in a less obtrusive place?
userdCOfZDPBZY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
This sucks put it back where it was
userDgGXViHNpq
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
That don't bring talk text back
userEu9IZoKAwe
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

hey samsung, you know that blind people depend on the speech to text functions as well as talk back - and it's really really annoying when we have to relearn how to use our phone every time a new update comes out.

something to think about.

Members_2uQRaHi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

There is an alternative solution*** that I personally prefer, but was hard to find. Not only was the microphone for voice-to-text not showing for browser searches, despite having it enabled in the browser settings, it wasn't showing up in Samsung Notes, either.

(*** denotes solution below for a quick skip, I'm long winded.)

I use VTT all the time, it's an accessibility issue for me. I also use Notes all the time, and both the keyboard VTT and the option in Notes to make a voice recording, which was going to be my frustrated default. You can still add voice notes in the app, but only after several clicks on the settings/options within the app. I also don't like having the microphone option up on the search bar in browsers, I have difficulties moving so high on the screen & then back down to type, and it is terrible economy of motion & time.

I was able to put the microphone option back on my Samsung keyboard for all apps/browsers/etc. but it is not intuitive to find, and will take some getting used to and may not work for all users.

***SOLUTION:

Go to:

Settings: -> General Management: -> Samsung Keyboard Settings: -> Samsung Keyboard: -> Swipe, Touch, and Feedback: -> Touch and Hold Space Bar

This gives you three options for this action: No action, Cursor control, or Voice Input - Touch and hold for voice input. Select the voice input option.

Now I have the tiny microphone shown on the top right of my space bar on the Samsung keyboard. If I press It for a few seconds, a very small blue microphone will appear on the far bottom left of the screen next to the 3 vertical lines ( part of the bottom navigation buttons, where you have the 3 vertical lines, square and down arrow. At first it was hard for me to tell if it was actually working or not. I held the space bar down for a couple of seconds and let it go then tried speaking and it worked, it also works if you continue holding it down. What surprised me was that when I stopped speaking, the microphone icon actually stayed down at the bottom left by the bottom navigation buttons and turned into a white outline symbol like the others. It was nice to be able to just do a quick tap on the microphone icon and resume Voice-To-Text without holding the space bar down again. Less convenient, and I'm not excited about having to relearn the keyboard again, but I'm grateful that there are multiple solutions since different things work better for different users with different needs.

Hopefully this helps someone else out! I took screenshots of the pathways and results, in case someone would benefit from that format, but it won't let me add them. I'll try again later.

Thanks again to the community and especially to GaryB82 for helping us out with this & other conundrums!  🙂

0 Likes