Original topic:

Wipe Cache Parition deletes texts - OneUI 6.1 Update Bug

(Topic created: 04-04-2024 11:41 AM)
Jorjimodels
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
EDIT: It's not from wiping the cache. I found what seems to be the culprit. Tested a few things that led to the issue. Somehow, uninstalling secure folder does this. Not sure what to say at this point but incredibly frustrating to lose messages over something that shouldn't even be connected.

Made a separate post about this but thought it would be better to make another after finding the specific bug (at least in Samsung Messages)

Not sure how widespread this issue is but I have seen a few people experience this already. After the new OneUI6.1 update on S23U, when wiping the system cache partition in the system boot menu, texts seem to delete themselves from various ranges of time (for me 1 year, another person said 2). I have tested this myself twice now and confirmed that it happens the exact way, even after clearing the app data and restoring it from a backup. It just deletes them to the same specific time period. No methods of retrieval work, aside from actual backups (unfortunately for me samsung cloud backed up *after* this issue occured).

Does anyone know why this might happen? Hopefully a potential fix can come in the future, but unfortunately for some it may be too late. Not sure if there is even a solution but Samsung should be made aware of this.
16 Replies
KnoxFather
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
If you're using the stock Samsung "messages" app, the cache partition is not used for storing text messages. It's just basically just a place for the system to keep temp files. Messges are stored in their own directory. I will see if I can duplicate the problem and get a dumpstate log for it. I'll reply back here when I have more info.
Jorjimodels
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
That's whats strange, it shouldn't have any effect on messages but after the new update when clearing it, it has reproduced the same issue multiple times for me (only after clearing it). I appreciate the help 👍 could just be me and it might not occur the same way but I noticed a few other people had the same issue. Not sure how it is even connected but for whatever reason it seems to trigger an issue with the app.
0 Likes
Jorjimodels
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
This is probably just me and a few others but I found the culprit. It had to do with secure folder, for some reason uninstalling it will delete messages. No idea why it is connected, must be a bug. Hopefully they fix it
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@Jorjimodels This would be extremely odd since the texts and user data are not stored there. I always wipe the cache partition after an update and have never had texts or other data go missing. I am using a Fold 5. I just checked and I have texts going back to 2016. Geez I need to clear some of those out. LOL. 

Jorjimodels
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Yeah that's the weird thing, it shouldn't be connected at all yet I have replicated it a few times and it's somehow linked. Never had this issue until now. Could just be a bizzare bug for a small amount of S23Us but still strange- thought it was maybe just me but I've seen a few others with the issue.
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

As I always understood it, this is the way messaging works:  The texts reside on your carrier's servers.  All carriers periodically purge messages older than a certain time - let's say 180 days (I don't know the exact policy).  Those who have not deleted older messages will still retain them on their phones. The carrier purge does not affect those messages, however, if one manually deletes them or some glitch accidentally deletes them, they are gone.  The reasons more recent ones come back is because they still reside on the carrier servers and get redownloaded.  

If you are in the habit of hanging on to older text messages and conversations, and they are important to you, I have been recommending people download an SMS backup app from the Play store.  There are several - my preference is for SMS backup &  Restore simply because it is the one I used first.  It is simple and you can back up specific conversations or the whole shebang either manually or on a schedule and save them to Gmail, Google drive, Dropbox, one drive, or SD card, and/or email it to yourself.

LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@realaud Sorry but that is incorrect. If that were true, when you put a SIM in a new phone your previous texts would automatically appear. What actually happens is that, if you don't somehow transfer your texts from the old phone to the new phone, your new phone won't have any of your existing texts.

When your phone gets the text from the carrier, it is no longer on their service. OR if it is, it is only available for law enforcement. This is why you need to use Smart Switch or another transfer tool to move your current texts to a new phone. 

The texts are stored on your phone in an SMS database (of sorts). This is why you can randomly make any SMS app active on your device and it will see your texts. 

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

Except for this last transfer to my new phone, I have never used smart switch or any like application to transfer anything over.  Perhaps they were stored in Google backup, but my messages were always there when I got a new phone, along with all my photos. So maybe people should look to see if their messages are in Google backup and restore them from there.

I remember years ago, when I was with AT&T, they specifically said they purge messages from their server after a specific period of time (servers may have been smaller then) and if we wanted to save messages, we would have to download them.  They used to have a message reader app (which was different than other messages apps) to enable the download which actually showed the dates messages were due to be purged.  I don't know if it worked that way for all carriers, as I was only with AT&T until I wasn't.  None of my messages, except the ones with my late brother, are important enough for me to save, so if they get deleted or go missing it wouldn't bother me.  The ones that are important I back up with an SMS backup app.

I am the world's biggest proponent of "if it's important to you, back it up", so I cry no tears for people who don't back up things that are important to them - like photos and messages.  In the early days of personal computing anything and everything could go wrong, and many people lost a lot of important data when things did go wrong.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. Although, it is still my understanding that my original statement about server retention holds true. Someday I'll take the time to find out. But, if you say I am wrong, I don't discount the possibility that I might be.

0 Likes
DaddysWitlGirl1111
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
This horrible news! I depend on my text history in my phone a lot! This entire update is just unacceptable.