Original topic:

Auto Restart Not Working since May Update

(Topic created: 06-19-2024 05:03 AM)
McBeats
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Auto restart worked when I first got the phone, but since the May Update it says it did, but if you go look at uptime it really didn't. 
15 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Maybe it's the uptime count that's incorrect.  Did you set your auto restart for a particular day & time?  I would suggest you watch the phone around that time and see if it actually restarts. 

Either way, clear your phone's cache partition and it may clear up any confusion on the part of device care & battery management.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Make it a practice to clear the cache after any update.

0 Likes
McBeats
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Didn't have to do this with previous phones.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

You don't *have* to do it, but it doesn't hurt to do so, especially if you have a history of having problems. It certainly makes sense to do so if you start experiencing problems. When the updates come down and the file swapping takes place, it happens in the cache, and pieces may get left behind. I think the update process is supposed to empty the cache, but sometimes doesn't do it completely.  There are also those, who start using their phones as soon as they unlock it without waiting for the process to complete, which actually interrupts the cleanup. This is why, at the very least, I wait for the process to finish and then re-boot my phone again before using.

0 Likes
McBeats
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Either way then that's a bug isn't it? I'm not the only one experiencing this. Posts on reddit about it.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

I understand a lot of people are experiencing it, but 70 or so posts on Reddit or here does not equal the millions of users of the phone. Computers/modern electronics are complicated instruments, and some people will have problems and others won't. Just like human physiology--some people get sick, others don't.

0 Likes
McBeats
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Glad it works for you. But it doesn't for some of us, which means there is a problem. Just like human physiology -- some people get sick, others don't. Those sick still need a cure.
0 Likes
McBeats
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
It was fine before the May Update. It's still broken in June's.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Sometimes things happen coincidental to another thing happening.  Perhaps that thing exploits a weakness, but not actually cause a problem.  My auto optimization-restart works fine.  This is actually the first phone I'm using he practice on, because I know phones work best when they are regularly restarted (clears out the junk), but I don't often remember to do it manually. It's easier to set it and forget it. I'm also not obsessively checking my uptime. If auto optimization/restart says it's been done, it probably has been.  The only way to be sure would be to set your auto restart for a time you are not likely to be actively using it and watch to see if the restart happens. For instance, I set mine to restart Mondays at 1 p.m., as it is usually sitting right next to me, while if futz at the computer.  I can see it do the restart.  If I'm out and the phone is in my purse at the time, I can feel the disconnection from my watch when it restarts.

You can also restart your phone manually and see if your uptime figure changes.

0 Likes