Original topic:

Galaxy S24 slow charges with Android Auto

(Topic created: 05-10-2024 12:43 PM)
userbOCk161Mof
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I have a base Galaxy S24 phone. When I use wired Android Auto the phone says "Slow Charging" and gradually loses battery. I've tried three different cars, a 2021 Toyota Corolla Hybrid, a 2021 Toyota RAV4 and a 2018 Ford Eco Sport. If I plug my phone into my Belkin rapid car charger my phone says "Super Fast Charging" and has no issues. What's going on? Is this a bug?
0 Likes
3 Replies
AdeptMaven
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
No it's not a bug.

When you're plugged in directly to most car USB ports they will provide 10watts of power (5V/2A). That is the minimum charging speed that modern galaxy phones accept. If you're plugged into a source that provides 15W or 18W it will be considered fast charging. If it's connected to something that can provide 25W it will be considered Super fast charging. So when you're connected directly to a car for wired Android auto you are only receiving 10W of power. Depending on what apps you have open and what settings you have enabled your phone may be using more than 10W of power and thus your battery is slowly draining. Also beware of where your phone is placed in the car. When the phone is charging it creates heat and if it is clipped to a vent that is also blowing hot air or just in an area with poor air circulation that can also cause the battery to drain faster.

Next time you use wired android auto try closing apps you're not using and temporarily disabling NFC and Wi-Fi. That should lower your power draw and allow the phone to charge over the 10W USB connection
0 Likes
userbOCk161Mof
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
This issue doesn't happen on my Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23 or Galaxy S21 though. They all charge just fine from that same USB port in both cars.
0 Likes
userbOCk161Mof
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
*Galaxy S22
0 Likes