Original topic:

Issue with pass keys

(Topic created: 03-21-2024 12:56 PM)
Nagisa11
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I've been using pass keys on my phone's for a couple years now. I recently switched from my Pixel 6 pro to a Galaxy S24 Ultra. For some reason despite the fact that Google is set as one of the apps that my phone get past keys from The ones saved in my Google account never show up. I was able to save a couple to my Samsung account, but now when I try to use passkeys it just tells me I have none saved. When I tried to use my S24 Ultra to unlock an account on my laptop it kept erroring out. Has anyone else had this happen before? This is the kind of thing where if passkeys are going to be the next big thing that will replace passwords it really does need to work. Also Samsung, why is Samsung pass the only option for pass keys on this phone, I know I have several saved in Google even an old Huawei phone imported from China managed to figure this out.
10 Replies
Members_7WmZ5VS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hopefully they can fix this quickly as I just switched to the Galaxy 24 Ultra and I use pass keys with everything. I had no issues when I was using an iPhone but now the feature just times out. 

Nagisa11
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
After doing a bit of digging and asking about it on one passwords forum it seems like part of the issue is app developers. There's a bit of a disconnect between the newer standards being implemented in Android devices and the old ones. The old one could only use Google's password manager to store pass keys so apps that still use that like Firefox and Chrome by default will only check Google. The newer ones used across Samsung's other products and that can be enabled in Chrome check other apps like Samsung pass or other password managers that support passkeys
userYKW3cQCtj0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
i recently started having this issue as well. it happened around the time of the "One UI 6.0" update that was forced. it made it to where my apps won't access my passkeys- says "no passkeys saved on this device".. luckily, I've been able to get around this on SOME of my apps using authenticator codes where an option is. However, it's a huge pain and doesn't even work on most occasions where my passkey system is required. have you figured out how to get apps to default to a new source of passkeys? (As i understand it, the new update made it to where i can only use samsung pass for passkeys on my Galaxy s23 android..?

**side rant**
My phone had a much, much better "streamlined & customizable UI " that best fit MY use profile.. if i wanted some * "One UI" for everybody!!* Maybe it's just me, but i dont want to be micromanaged & surveyed by centralized company any more than i already am (which is beyond crazy amount for everybody as is). One UI seems like a step in the wrong direction, but it does have some cool features, but i for one dont appreciate how they forced it onto my device with administrator commands that i certainly didnt want, all my settings forced into new functions on the same device... I've been a Samsung multi-device customer for 15 years now. If i wanted absolute ease of accessibility at the expense of my use rights as both a user (or developer for that matter), I'd be typing [or not typing] all of this from an iPhone...

has there been a solution discovered that bridges the two protocol paradigms yet, i wonder?
Nagisa11
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
From what I can tell the issue comes from basically just newer APIs and security protocols in the new version of Android. Previous versions of Android only really supported pass keys stored in Google The newer one supports pass keys stored in third party password managers. For the moment this looks like it's not accessing Google's for some reason. I was able to get past keys stored in Samsung pass and one password working in Chrome by enabling the correct flag and it worked seamlessly in Samsung internet. I was also able to save a WhatsApp past key directly to a third-party password manager. In Firefox it still doesn't work but it looks like that is a problem with Firefox not being updated to access the newer security API or whatever
Diego T
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Having the exact same problem since the "One UI 6.0" software update from late february.

Until the latest software update to this day it did not come back and i am not able to use passkeys without the Samsung Passkey app. This should be reversed immediately, or i must move away from samsung after many years. Please reverse it like it was before the late february update within the next software update, as you can see - many people have the same problem and are not happy with it.

0 Likes
bah_ron
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Having the same issue
0 Likes
Samsung_srRdMFU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same problem here.

Modern authentication is bad enough as it is, please fix this!

0 Likes
Dom1n1c
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the same issue.:

Dom1n1c_2-1715427575780.png

"Notification sent" on my Desktop / latest Chrom/ium (Chrome or Edge, tested both)
"An issue occured" on my S24 Ultra, and then the "you cancelled the authentication in my Oauth/MFA prompt, e.g. Authelia, but weird thing is, my other devices like iOS, Android are working (iPhone 14, Pixel 7)

Dom1n1c_3-1715427673787.jpeg

Dom1n1c_0-1715427401696.png

0 Likes
gaudo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I think i have the same problem on my Samsung S21.
Passkeys aren't getting added to Google Password Manager for some reason.
Also, it seems the device only looks for passkeys in Samsung Pass, even though I haven't set it as preferred.

Kinda frustrating.

0 Likes