Original topic:

One UI 6.1 and Good Lock

(Topic created: 03-24-2024 08:17 PM)
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, upgrading from the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. There are quite a few things I've discovered that are downgrades from the Note 20 Ultra (such as the screen and the haptic vibration), but that isn't my main concern.

My main concern, which I'm hoping Samsung will read and take heed to, is regarding One UI 6.1 and the AOD, either built-in or via Good Lock.

The AOD in One UI 6.1 is SEVERELY crippled compared to One UI 5.1. Firstly, there is a major lack of customization. The worst offender is the notification icons, which are now tiny and all white. I'm not sure if Samsung actually uses the phones they produce, but on a large screen like the S24 Ultra, you literally cannot see the icons. Having such a large screen and then wasting it with tiny icons is counter productive. If Samsung wants to see how it's done properly, simply refer to the way they did it in One UI 5.1, where the icons on the AOD are properly spaced out, colored, and larger. 

Second, the widgets. PLEASE allow us to make them larger than the tiny box they are currently in. Allow us to actually use the space on the large screen that we bought.

I hope Samsung is reading this, because the while I can't return my S24 Ultra, it is a severe downgrade in critical aspects from my Note 20 Ultra, and that is saying something. Samsung can rectify this by at least fixing the software and allowing us to customize the AOD properly instead of trying to emulate Apple's take on the AOD.

Thanks.
6 Replies
niteskyz
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S24
like how you gonna downgrade the AOD samsung? 😭
Member23
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I am able to adjust the size of my icons by going to layout display, so instead of having 15 on one screen or 4×5, 4 rows by 5 columns, you can make it so that they are 3×4, I can double check but I'm also working off of a S23. Let me check and send you some screenshots
0 Likes
AllenInChicago
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Before my Samsung S21 was updated to One UI 6.1 this week, I could receive a notification while taking a shower, look out at the phone sitting on the counter and tell if the notification was Weather, News, Amazon (my job), or a Text Message, based on the Icon's shape and color. (Even without my glasses!)

Now, as you stated, the icons are tiny and all white.  I can only see what type of notification just came through by putting my face within 2 feet of the phone's screen and squinting a little.  Naturally, if we have to be that close, we may as well just unlock the phone and read whatever the notification was about.  

There are people in the I.T. department who get promoted simply by changing something and saying its for the better.  Somehow, someone in Samsung IT convinced their bosses to let them shrink the lock-screen icons and make them all white.   I'd love to see how this programmer justified making such a horribly illogical modification to Samsung's lock-screen icons.  

Maybe its time to investigate Android-based smartphones not made by Samsung?

Allen in Chicago

0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Google is actually taking control of certain aspects of any device that runs the Android operating system.  This includes the changes made to swipe gestures, and those changes made to the AOD screen.  Switching to an android device made by a different manufacturer will yield the same results.

Google makes android.  Complain to google about their required changes.

0 Likes
AllenInChicago
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

The GOOGLE I.T. person in their "Help" forums said One UI is a Samsung invention and is therefore updated by Samsung.   

Oh well...as with the loss of the blinking light that indicated messages waiting, I'll get used to the removal of colors and shrinking of icons on the lock screen too.  

0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Yeah, not sure why Google is dictating these changes, seems like they want to be more like apple, and force "preferences" on people.  The entire Android O/S used to be appealing due to the amount of customization options on it, but now Google wants the experience to be consistent from one Android device to the next.  They are even forcing changes to things Samsung pioneered, like swipe gestures.

0 Likes