Original topic:

Reset Enhanced Data Protection recovery code

(Topic created: 04-05-2024 06:40 AM)
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I have been trying to get Samsung's help but haven't gotten anywhere with the useless support who just keeps sending me canned answers. I reached out to them via text message and Samsung Members and have gotten no help.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, on AT&T. The model number is SM-S928U1. I can provide serial and IMEI number on request.

I need help resetting the EDP (Enhanced Data Protection) state for my Samsung Cloud account. I want to enable Enhanced Data Protection for backup, but I forgot the recovery key. Let me be clear: I don't need to restore data, just need to turn on the feature. When I attempt to turn it on, it asks me for the recovery key. I don't have it, and the feature is turned OFF. 

I enabled the Enhanced Data Protection feature once when I first got my phone, but then I disabled it, because I didn't know what the feature was at that time, so that is why I forgot the recovery code. So now I just want to enable it. I don't even care if I delete all the backup data on my account since I'm not trying to restore anything.

I found an option to try to reset the EDP recovery code, but I get an error that the service won't respond. For clarity, I do not have any other device except this one. See screenshot.

Screenshot_20240405_022530_Samsung Cloud Assistant.jpg

Can Samsung please help me out with this one? Please don't tell me to "reset the recovery code in the Samsung Cloud options" because if you look at the screenshot, THE OPTION IS GRAYED OUT.

Screenshot_20240405_020155_Samsung Cloud Assistant.jpg

Thank you!

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S24

This is the exact same issue I am having. Was a solution ever established?

Greetings,

I just upgraded from an S21 Ultra to an S24 Ultra.

Unfortunately, at some point, I lost the recovery key for my backup data from the old device. It's not a huge issue, as I have most of my important stuff already backed up locally.

I decided to start fresh, so I used Samsung's Inquiry system to request the deletion of my Samsung Cloud data. Within a few hours, I got a response saying that the deletion had been completed.

I went back into my account menu from the Android settings and turned all the backup switches on to start a fresh backup. However, even though there is no backup data in the cloud anymore, it still won't let me back up my device without the aforementioned recovery key.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SamsungModerator1
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello all, thank you for reaching out about this.

First, try opening Samsung Cloud > tapping the 3 dots > Settings > Enhanced Data Protection > Encrypt backup data > Send email > Generate recovery code. If these steps do not work, it would be best to reach out to the Samsung Accounts team, by calling 1-855-795-0509. 

jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I called that number and spoke to someone who connected to my phone. Bottom line: there is nothing you can do about it, because the key is a "forever key" that is associated with your account. The rep stated that Samsung cannot reset or recover it.

The only "fix" for this is to create a brand new Samsung account and use that on the phone, or if you want to continue to use your email address, delete the account and recreate it.

Samsung needs to listen up that this is a ridiculously poor method of doing key management. Further, they need to communicate in CLEAR TERMS somewhere that this is a one time use code and that it can never be reset anymore, which is what the rep told me.

The PROPER way to do this is that if they key needs to be reset, it should be able to, but then it should delete all the data on the account.

Now, in order for me to rectify this, I need to create a new account, re-establish all my Samsung Pass credit cards, passwords, etc. etc. Highly inconvenient.

Can anyone confirm if they've had any other experience and that this is actually true? I've read from one other place that someone actually had their "EDP State Reset". Why were they able to get theirs done and I can't? If I find the link I'll post it here.

izephyr
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Indeed the proper way to handle this is 
"...that if they key needs to be reset, it should be able to, but then it should delete all the data on the account."

Recreating the account does not make sense. I have contacted Samsung support, and they asked me to delete and recreate an account. While it is not a big deal to create another account, why should I? It should let me recreate the security key by initializing the backup data, cleanse and start-over

Be sure to click " āœ“ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you and drop some ā™”
prairiepug
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree with all above comments! Security features cross the line if owners cant have a fix for this!
XxKinGxxDaViDxX
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
New account? No ill go apple
0 Likes