Original topic:

S24 Ultra Camera STILL terrible after update

(Topic created: 02-25-2024 07:13 AM)
Ibuddy66
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Even after this latest update. The camera ignores settings and just does whatever it wants. For instance, I go take a photo and regardless of wether I have optimization on or off, the phone still acts like it does with night mode and changes the image on me. I want what was in the preview when I took the picture. I don't want it to do this junk with nightmode even though I'm in the regular camera and don't have scene optimizer on. Or how about this? Allow us to disabled optimizations and just use scene optimizer instead. Something is clearly wrong here. 

Part of this is also probably related to the fact they have us all still stuck on the July 2023 Google Play System Update. 1200 dollar phone and my S21+ took better pictures, had a better screen, and was on the latest Google Play System updates. This is ridiculous. I've been a huge Samsung fan for a long time and I honestly just want to cry at how bad my pictures are now. 
- Ibuddy66
27 Replies
Schykle
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
If you don't want it to do the night mode tweaks, you need to click the little moon icon on the bottom right of your camera viewfinder when in lowlight and this will turn that specifically off.

Addressing the seconr part though... Your S21+ absolutely did not have a better screen. As for taking better pictures... I can't say I've had any similar issues. However there definitely are inconsistencies and issues with the Play System updates.
Joemetal6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
That's weird after the update I could notice the improvements on camera and screen colors
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here. My 24ultra just got the update maybe 3 hours ago. I read the entire update before i proceeded and found nothing wrong with my cameras afterwards. I know when i first got my 24 ultra like almost a month ago my camera wasn't what i wanted, but now it is. 🤷🏾‍:male_sign: tweak your camera settings seriously everything. Reset the settings and do it over
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
Play system updates is a Google problem. You can't side load it and Google pushes it on their own. Not to mention all devices start off with what Android version had when released which was July. My Pixel 8 Pro is on July 2023 and I haven't see the last 2 updates. I am not the Only Pixel owner either.
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Yes nothing changed:

• still no raw support
  • still no 24MP for 5x
  • still no 24MP in stock app
  • still possible to select 200MP on 10MP hardware,
  • but not possible to switch to UWW or 3x when in 50MP mode, even though you can select that option when you are there

And that's the buggy stuff that worked before, while they could have worked on improvements instead like:

• eye tracking autofocus that works for animal and humans and it not deactivated when using more than 12MP
  • manual shutterspeed limit
  • burstmode with manual settings an dng output

0 Likes
typos1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

What's your problem with being able to select 200mp for the 10mp 3x camera ?? This is a GOOD thing - it was insulting enough for samsung to put 2 of these small cr*ppy sensors on the s23 ultra last year and it's even more insulting for them to still be using one on the s24 ultra this year. But upscaling this tiny little cr*p camera with it's tiny little pixels to 200mp (or 50mp) DRAMATICALLY improves the quality of it's output - its propensity to produce stupid amounts of noise and loads of artifacts is almost entirely eradicated and detail is drastically improved. I didn't even bother td use this camera until I accidentally found out that if you manually zoom in 200mp mode (or 50mp mode) it'll use the 3x camera despite not having a "3x" button for it. Now I use it sometimes but not much cos it's still nowhere near as good as the main and 5x camera (although the 5x needs a whole of a lot of fine tuning cos man, that thing can sometimes pump out really bad photos)

So don't complain about a surprisingly good feature.

As for 24mp photos in the main camera app and for the 5x - why bother ? Just use 50 or 200 modes - they're way better than the 24mp mode in expert raw, mind you everything comes out rubbish in expert raw whatever setting you put it on, dunno why they even bother with it.

0 Likes
vjc789
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree. I don't see much of an improvement in the S24 ULTRA software update for the camera. I'm also a bit frustrated with the AI optimization of my photos after I take a picture. My biggest complaint is that when I take pictures indoors in what I would consider medium lighting conditions, the post editing AI always over corrects the photo. It makes the photo bright and over corrects colors sometimes. I don't need every photo I take indoors to look like it's outdoors in bright sunlight conditions. I can compensate for this by using the pro mode, but that mode has its limitations, and it becomes labor intense just to snap a photo. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to say that the Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max has a better camera.
typos1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

You can easily compensate for it by editing the photo in gallery and dialling down the light balance, I do it for most pictures I take, I also dial down the saturation too even tho samsung has reduced it's love of over saturating this year it still saturates too much.

0 Likes
Zapp2211
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Try this Go to your camera go to your settings go to cache clean the cache Make sure you reset it go back reset the way you want it and try it then Make sure that the camera is cleared of cache and data then try it it should work sometimes the cache blocks the updates or some something else but make sure there's no photos and nothing on the camera just restart it and try it and try the camera assistant maybe to work try that
Paul