Original topic:

S24 Ultra Camera STILL terrible after update

(Topic created: 02-24-2024 09:55 PM)
Ibuddy66
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Even after this latest update. The camera ignores settings and just does whatever it wants. For instance, I go take a photo and regardless of wether I have optimization on or off, the phone still acts like it does with night mode and changes the image on me. I want what was in the preview when I took the picture. I don't want it to do this junk with nightmode even though I'm in the regular camera and don't have scene optimizer on. Or how about this? Allow us to disabled optimizations and just use scene optimizer instead. Something is clearly wrong here. 

Part of this is also probably related to the fact they have us all still stuck on the July 2023 Google Play System Update. 1200 dollar phone and my S21+ took better pictures, had a better screen, and was on the latest Google Play System updates. This is ridiculous. I've been a huge Samsung fan for a long time and I honestly just want to cry at how bad my pictures are now. 
- Ibuddy66
userHU4QmCWzSM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

My indoor pictures are still washed out even after the update.  The s24 ultra takes the worst looking pictures I've seen from any high priced phone in the last several years at least. 

typos1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

See my reply above - it's easy to sort this

0 Likes
user9XAl3m1fAD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I debated going with the S23 Ultra before purchasing the S24 Ultra due to the change in camera systems.  Wish I would've gone with the S23 as the S24 has been a real disappointment between the screen issues and apparent camera downgrade in zoom and low light conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB182FLQb4Y

user9XAl3m1fAD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I debated going with the S23 Ultra before purchasing the S24 Ultra due to the change in camera systems.  Wish I would've gone with the S23 as the S24 has been a real disappointment between the screen issues and apparent camera downgrade in zoom and low light conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB182FLQb4Y

HurricaneOleg
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

What's so terrible about the camera? What WAS terrible about the camera before the update? It has a small sensor and won't take as good of pictures as a dedicated full frame shooter, that's something we already know. My S24 Ultra took very decent photos before the update and things haven't changed after, still takes very good pics, they look more natural and less saturated than my S23 and definitely look better than s20, 21 and s22, especially the videos and the super zoom photos. 

I think Samsung community will continue moaning  forever, there will always be something we don't like, can endlessly pick on, often for no reason whatsoever.

Everyone turned into a professional photographer overnight with enough photographic merit to criticize the levels of chromatic aberration, barrelic distortion and mosaic noise caused by the Bayer filter, amongst others. Do you people even know what you're talking about? Buy a OnePlus and take a few photos or the Sony Xperia 1, see what you say then. Or, if you really want to know what a TERRIBLE photos look like, get one of the cheaper phones, like a Motorola or one of the Chinese ones, see what a TRULY TERRIBLE camera looks like then! You think the iPhone takes better pictures? No, it doesn't. There's a limit to what computational photography can do, even in 2024.

Yes, it's a $1200 phone. It's well-made and a great alternative to the iPhone. There are much bigger problems than a camera that isn't superb, like an old-**bleep** fingerprint reader they've been using for years now or the fact that it doesn't have an ir camera for facial unlocking. If you want it to take truly great, amazing photos, substitute it with a Sony Alpha 1, Canon eos R5/R3, Nikon z8/z9 or any other full-frame beast. Guaranteed improvement in all photography-related areas! 

0 Likes
useruSSnf2MgwT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
After editing, my OnePlus 9 Pro actually took better pics than my s24 ultra. Not in every scenario. The 24u moon shot, for example, is by far superior. That said, I'm not even certain that it's really a pic of the moon through my lens, or if it's just a superimposed Ai overlay. Either way, I'd actually say that I kind of wish I had just got the OnePlus 12. Fastest android experience of any phone... ever. Longest battery life of any phone... ever. And the camera, to me, looks great. I know that the raw result isn't as polished as the occasional to rare exceptional photo this s24 ultra gets. But I'm curious as to what the pics would look like after editing on the 12. I am willing to bet that it comes closer in some cases, and outright beats the 24u in some others. At least if you take the average person and ask them which shots look better.
typos1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

People moan because samsung is taking the mick - it's being apple like in selling us the most expensive non folding phone but doing things like putting tiny little low quality low resolution cameras behind the ultra wide and 3x lenses when it really should have given us three 50mp auxiliary cameras and kept the 10x optical zoom (or downgraded to 8x), not giving us a 16Gb ram option and making us do the development work on it's camera system for 6 months (if the s23 ultra is anything to go by) before it gets any good. You can get better cameras and more ram from all it's android rivals for way less money, particularly the chinese ones. Sbmsung is making us pay over the top for less and it's name and all this will do is lose it customers.

0 Likes
traveleast
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Shots of moving objects are just pathetic for that price tag. I think this is the last time I trust Samsung over Apple
0 Likes
lostone123
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
S24+ camera not good at all.
0 Likes
Members_3Wckh2h
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

why does the camera on the Z Flip 5 look so much better and detailed than my S24 Ultra even after the update, it's  frustrating, I wish I kept my S22 Plus.