Beware! The trade in program by Samsung is a huge scam!

Constellation

Re: Beware! The trade in program by Samsung is a huge scam!

It's not worth the headache. Sell it yourself! If you decide to trade in take lots of pics even record the phone working.

Astronaut

Unfortunately I am going through the Exact same thing right now with my Note 8 trade in. Wish I had read this post sooner. 

Asteroid

Contact the BBB. Many including myself have had success doing that.

Asteroid

It doesn't make sense that Samsung would do this to their loyal customers. Glad I saw this post because I was all ready to trade in my S9 for the note 9.

Constellation

Different scam.  I ordrered two phones on Black Friday 2018.  I agreed to trade in our Galaxy S7s for $100 each.  The next day they sent an email that they could only process one trade at a time.  It said once the first trade in was received, they would send the second new phone.  Today, they received my trade in.  They now tell me it will take 2 weeks to evaluate the trade in and complete the process, adn that my new phone will be shipped two weeks after that.  So a phone I ordered on Black Friday won't ship until January 2019.

I could have walked down to the Verizon store on Black Friday and left with the two new phones and none of this nonesense.

I will not purchase Samsung phones again for my family. 

Astronaut

This is what I sent to the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org):

I purchased a Galaxy S9 from samsung.com because they had a trade-in program and offered 2 yrs no interest financing.  So I shipped them my Galaxy S8 in perfect condition.  They then charged me $350 because they said it didn't arrive until 11/2 and it needed to arrive by 11/1.  I figured it was a typical (at least with any other company) charge $350, but once they have the phone they credited it back.  Nope, I've talked to multiple customer support people and they all say my phone arrived one day late, so they charged me $350 and there was nothing they could do.  I was furious.  I said, sure there's something you can do... credit me the $350 or send me back an S8 and I'll return the S9.  They repeatedly said there was nothing they could do.  So they essentially stole my phone worth at least $300 based on what I was seeing on eBay for that phone in like-new condition.  And now my minimum payment to Samsung's finance company has doubled because now I'm on the hook for the entire cost of the new phone.  To make it worse, I still have a few payments left on the S8, but did the trade-in because it was such a "good deal".  I can't believe this is legal.

Asteroid

You should see results with your letter to the BBB. I also emailed the BBB some of the complaints from this thread to show a blatent pattern of the scam. It didn't take too long after filing with the BBB  before Samsung reimbursed me. Good luck!

Asteroid

Just checking that you opened a complaint with the BBB and didn't just send them an email?

Highlighted
Astronaut

"It doesn't make sense that Samsung would do this to their loyal customers."

No it doesn't.

Is this program being run by a third party? If it is, then it is like the Apple recycle program where a third party company runs it.

I sent my old (8 years old) 27" iMac into the recyle program on Apple's iTunes Store website after going through a checklist online that indicated it was worth $175 to be paid via an iTuines gift card. I was going to use the $175 to finace my purchase of an iPad Pro.  After the third party company received my old iMac, they claimed it was damaged and wouldn't operate, and that I would only receive a $15 iTunes gift card. I told then to send the iMac back to me. The Apple program allowed for that.  It cost them more in shipping costs (there and back again) than it was worth, I hope.  When it got here, however,  the operating system was deleted and I couldn't get the OSX online download to download, i.e., I couldn't restore the operating system so that I could sell it myself. So I took the iMac apart myself, and the hard drive had been removed. I guess that was their revenge for my having them ship it back. These programs are all scams.

Constellation

Same thing happend to me.  I am fighting it.  i CANCELLED THEIR CHARGE on my credit card