Camera Not Focusing and Blurry Photos

SOLVED
Asteroid

Camera Not Focusing and Blurry Photos

[ Edited ]

When taking photos, the camera tries to focus and refocus continuously,  and never actually focuses. This is leading to very blurry photos. It occurs when using the camera itself, and also when using it apps such as Snapchat. Both for photo and video. Pictures are also blurry in manual mode and there isn't any other way to turn auto focus off. Help!20170507_110449.jpg

See more topics labeled with:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Solution
Accepted by SamsungViv (Samsung Moderator)
4 weeks ago

Re: Camera Not Focusing and Blurry Photos

[ Edited ]

Greetings folks!

We’ve been following this thread, and we wanted to share some common things to try to resolve this issue so you don’t have to dig too far into the thread to get answers.

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look, the Google Play Store and Galaxy App store. Make sure you to go to both App Store apps and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone operating system up to date? Go to Settings > About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear Application caches and Application data. Instructions are HERE.
  4. Clear phone cache. Instructions are HERE

If you’ve tried all of these, and are still having problems with your camera focusing, I would suggest sending the device in for an evaluation and repair.   

For those of you that are in the US and using US devices, reach out to Samsung directly via phone (1-800-SAMSUNG/1-800-726-7864).

Also, you may want to reach out to your carrier to see if they have a different option that might suit you better.  Each carrier has different warranty and return policies, so they will be able to give you the answers specific to your situation.

For those of you that are in a different country, please reach out to the Samsung support in your region to set up that evaluation and repair. You can find the master list for regional support right HERE

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

126 REPLIES
Community Manager

Unless you were trying to go for the bokeh effect (blurry background with an in-focus subject. Also a new term I learned recently) in every single picture, I definitely understand how that would be irritating. Just to make sure we cover all of our bases, did you already check to make sure there wasn't a little plastic cover still on the lens of the camera? If there's nothing on the lens, we have a few other troubleshooting steps that we can try out! 

• Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  • Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  • Clear Application cache. Instructions are here
  • Clear phone cache. Instructions are here. (NOTE: Press the Bixby key in place of the Home button in these instructions) 
  • Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here.

Let me know how these go! If they don't work, please go to Settings>About Device and send me your model number and Baseband version. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Community Manager

Just checking back in to see if you still needed help, @userGXXWQwmlzP. Let me know if you do! 

Asteroid

Hi, thank you for the assistance. Unfortunately none of those things corrected the blurred pictures. The camera continues to try to focus when attempting to take a photo. My model number is SM-G955U and the baseband version is G955USQU1AQD9. 

Community Manager

You're welcome! So did this happen straight out of the box or did it take a while to develop? I've been checking other sites/resources and it looks like the next option would be a Factory Data Reset. This'll wipe all of your personal info from the phone, so I definitely recommend using a program like Smart Switch to back everything up. Once you're ready to reset, go to Settings>Search for and tap Factory Data Reset>Reset. Once the reset is done, test out the camera before reinstalling any of your personal info so we can make sure this isn't a software problem. Let me know if this helps! If it doesn't, you'll likely need a repair, but I'll still leave this open to the Community to see if they can think of any other ideas. 

Constellation

Hi, I've also done all of the above, including reset-- blurry galaxy s8 since new out of the box. Please let me know of any other solur ion, as it looks like I'll need to bring back to store for a swap.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey there, @useroOa6bWfoT4! Just to make sure we're on the same page, you tested the camera before reinstalling any of your personal data, right? At this point, unless there is something on the lens of the camera, I would go ahead at take it to your carrier to see what they can do to help since it appears to be hardware related. If for some reason you run into some trouble with your carrier, you can also reach out to Samsung directly via phone (1-800-726-7864), Twitter, or even Facebook to go over repair options.

Asteroid

So far it seems to be better for me, but I will have to try to take some photos outside still. Thank you!

Community Manager

That's awesome, @userGXXWQwmlzP! Let me know how those pictures turn out! 

Community Manager

Hey, @userGXXWQwmlzP! Just wanted to check back in to see how your pictures have been turning out. Let me know if you have any questions!