Charging port of my galaxy s8+ has burning smell when charging and the charger is really hot.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Charging port of my galaxy s8+ has burning smell when charging and the charger is really hot.

Hey, i have a samsung galaxy s8 plus and ive had it for about 4 months now and ive had no problem with it until this morning before i went to school, i noticed that my phone had stopped charging and it showed a message that said that i should check my charger because it was charging slow or something like that and when i got back home i had to charge it and when i plugged it in, i noticed that it wasnt charging so i unplugged it and the usb type c port was hot and it had a really bad burning smell, i dont know what to do since this is the first time it has happened, can anyone please help me, i would appreciate it.

-Samir

24 REPLIES
Supernova

Re: Charging port of my galaxy s8+ has burning smell when charging and the charger is really hot.

Hi @userLAS8xyFiwt  I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this but I would like to be of assistance. Are you okay? The safety of our customers is our number one priority so if the device is becoming too warm for you to handle, I do recommend that you discontinue using it immediately. I will be reaching out to you through Private Messages if you could take a look when you have a chance.

Asteroid

Re: Charging port of my galaxy s8+ has burning smell when charging and the charger is really hot.

The same thing happened to me this morning.  When i called Samsung, they told me they could fix my phone but it would take 5-7 business days, not including shipping.  This is an enormous ask since this is a product defect.  

The person i spoke to was rude and unhelpful.  Suggested i use my insurance to have it fixed, instead of the warranty. 

Constellation

I'm having exactly the same issue with my S8 plus. Plug the USB C connector in and within seconds it gets really hot and smells acrid . it's a bad electrical burning smell and furthermore doesn't charge. Have tried both the genuine Samsung cable and box, and the usb c to micro usb adapter with another gen Samsung cable, but does the same. It's a bit concerning considering all the previous problems with Samsung phones and heating-up burning problems. I can't seem to find any solutions to this, but by the looks of it I'm not alone. Samsung - I need help!

Supernova

Hey @useroZ2eaTXpcs I understand how this can be very upsetting but I'd like to help. Are you okay? The safety of our customers is our number one priority so given your report, I do recommend that you discontinue using it immediately. I'm going to reach out to you through Private Messages in just a moment. Please check your inbox at your earliest convenience.

Astronaut

Hi there- I have the same issue with my Samsung S8! Help please! 

I'm using the charger I recieved with the phone, but it stops charging, gets incredibly hot and smells of electric burn near the port. 
I'm fine, but am concerned about using the phone. 

Red Giant

Good afternoon @usernTcGShy6ac

I can understand your concern. Do you have another charging cord that you can connect the device to? I want to try and narrow down that concern to either the phone or the charging cord/adapter.

Red Giant

@usernTcGShy6ac

Hello again, just thought I would reach out to you. Did you still need assistance? If so reach out to one of our moderators in a private message, and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Astronaut

Re: Charging port of my galaxy s8+ gets hot and doesnt charge at all.

I have had my phone since last December. Back in February it just stopped charging while plugged in. I took it to a place here in town to see if they could fix it. But was able to get if to work right. how is just does a slow charge. SO NOW it takes 4 hours to charge.  I did get a wireless charger for it, but feel it doesnt stay charged as long. very unhappy because i am unable to charge the phone in my truck if needed. I would really like a New one or Fixed. I have owned a Samsung phone for ever since i have samsung tv's. SO i can mirror screens. I feel it Ridiculous the the port  has already gone defective. From what i have read this seems to be a common theme. Please help me fix the issue. thanks

Astronaut

This recently happened to my 15 year old son. He burned his thumb trying to unplug the charger worried it was causing an electrical fire.