Galaxy S8+ Freezing

Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8+ Freezing

Yes and yes and yes, s8+ locks up, freezes reboots left, right up and down. Now I can't say if my friend that has just the s8 (not plus) is just lie ing to me.... Smiley Sad he would to 1 up on me, but he says he doesn't have a lick of trouble.

I've reset, safer etc.... just waiting to get maybe the 2nd gen phone since it can't be the software 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator

We are aware of a limited number of reports about S8/S8+ devices experiencing an issue with some of their applications. Any consumer who experiences this issue should update their apps in the Samsung Galaxy Store and the Google Play Store.

(Open Galaxy app → Go to → Navigate to Update, then touch the Update icon next to Personalization Service  → The updated version should be greater than 1.2.00.)

Any consumers with questions should contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG so that we can help them.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Samsung Moderator

Wonderful! Thanks for the help @expert

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

Same issues here.  Have gone through 2 s8+ phones now with same issues.  The 2nd phone out of the box with a factory reset and no additional apps installed and no SD card locked up after about 2 days.  Just disabled Chrome based on another post I saw in here hoping that helps.

Cosmic Ray

All,

I believe the last update from Samsung fixes this issue. For T-Mobile people that update is NRD90M.G955USQU1AQJ8. After applying this update you should be at the 10/1 Android patch level but I believe it brought us some fixes that were not called out for the freezing. My freezing is gone now.

Steve

Astronaut

this is not a solution.  Many of us new Galaxy S8+ users are having consistent, and incredibly annoying and bothersome FREEZING problems.  The phone is useless if you cannot depend upon it for calls, alarms, and functionality.   PLEASE tell your corporate overlords that, once again, Samsung is fumbling the ball.

Acknowledge the error, tell us you are working on it, and then alert us to a patch that will cure the freezing once and for all.  If not, I am calling corporate and demanding a refund, and will never purchase any Samsung product again... ever.

Constellation

Been having the freezing problem off and on since September. It's typically only once a week or so, but as off a few minutes ago, it's three times in the last two days, and twice today. Today, my phone did not wake me up, as I found it frozen since 2am when I woke up (I have the AoD turned on, so I can tell how long it's been frozen by the time displayed). Phone is on the latest OS update, security update (Oct), and all apps, including Samsung apps, are fully up to date. VERY annoying.
Constellation

Third morning in a row, I've awoken to find my phone frozen since the wee hours. This really needs to be corrected.
Constellation

[ Edited ]

Hello All. New to this forum. Canadian S8+ owner. 

Not sure if this information will help or just make this issue foggier.

I have had the S8+ since April. Initially, I had numerous freezing issues. Almost every night whether charging or not. I would wake to find the phone frozen at a time in the middle of the night. Sometimes during the day...but usually at night while the phone was idle. 

Last Sunday, I decided to wipe my phone again. I just do that every once in a while to get a fresh start. I used the same 64GB card, same SIM, but loaded only a fraction of the apps back on my phone....including swiftkey and chrome.  

Now the freezing at night issue is back. Froze last night...so once in the first week.  

I can't tell you which of the below three things stopped the freezing, but I am fairly certain it is one of them. At least I hope it was one of these three. 

I read hundreds of articles and something I did worked. Should have written it down.  Here are the three things that come to mind.   

I did a full factory reset and cache flush. However, that is what I just did again. So possibly something that I had disabled that is default is causiing the issue and the factory reset reenabled it. 

That brings me to the second point. I disabled the power saving feature. Not just the put apps to sleep after three days...I disabled it altogether. I think this may be the culprit. OR.... 

I did read someplace at one point, that taking out both the SIM card and any file cards and cleaning the contacts and then putting them back in may help. And now that I am writing this, I beleive I did that. I used 99% Isopropal Alcohol. 

All I know is that after doing something, I didn't have the freezing issue for months. It can't be hardware. 

I did have swiftkey, chrome, and a host of other third party apps installed. Not a single freeze. It was full of junk...which is why I just reformatted. 

So I will try the cleaning of the contacts again. If that doesn't work, I will fully disable power saving. And to be clear, I am not talking about mid power saving, or long power saving ...I am talking about going under settings, device maintenance, battery, click three dots in upper right, andvanced settings, click on app power monitor (not the slider buton but the words), and then click the on slider to off). 

I'll let you know if either option stops the freezing again. 

Tim

Constellation

[ Edited ]

OK...one more thing.

For the past few months, I have had no security on the phone. When I first baught it, I was using the retinal scanner. I had surgery and was at home for most of the past few months so it was turned off. When I reset the phone, I turned it back on. Not sure it could be the culprit, but I am trying to think of anything that changed between the before and after reset.

Tim