S8 plus burning smell when charging.

Cosmic Ray

S8 plus burning smell when charging.

I have had my S8 + from launch date.  I had a few issues at the beginning like the random restarts and slow charging issue.  Seem to be fixed since last update.  But I have noticed the last few days.  When it is on the charger I get a faint electrical burning smell.  I thought it was something else so I had checked all the outlets and everything plugged in.  It wasn't till an hour ago.  When I went to use my phone while on the charger that I noticed it was my phone.  When I took off the case the smell coming from the the back if the phone became more prominent but still faint.  The phone it self isn't super hot to the touch no where near a concerning temperature at least.  Any ideas what could be the issue?  My phone is working other wise great! 

36 REPLIES
Asteroid

Re: S8 plus burning smell when charging.

To be honest I would just take the phone in and swap it out. Back it up and then take it to the nearest store. Don't take that chance. 

Black Hole

We need you to get in contact with support ASAP. If you need any help, please do not hesitate to PM me @Anjee. This situation should definitely be taken seriously and I want to make sure you get assisted for this. Are you okay? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

My phone is burning too and my case is charred. 

Black Hole

@user1URl6xry82 have you been in contact with support about this? If not, PM me. I'd be more than happy to discuss getting this taken care of for you. I hope everything is okay. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Black Hole

Hey @@user1URl6xry82! I haven't received any messages from you at all. I want to make sure Samsung takes your situation very seriously. Please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM if you haven't been in contact with support about the matter. 

Constellation

having the same issue.  i think my port has partially melted....

Supernova

Hi @useroxRjGQtgGN I certainly echo Mel by saying you need to get in touch with our support team as quickly as possible. You can do so through our Twitter https://twitter.com/samsungsupport , Facebook https://www.facebook.com/samsungsupport/ or by calling 1 (800) 726-7864.

Constellation

Is this common?  My s8 just started smelling like burning from the charging port and cable.  The cable got hot enough to literally burn my finger.  Charger and cable are the Samsung supplied with the phone. 

Asteroid

This is not common because this is not hapoening to all the phones... is there a short in your coord?? Is you outlit not safe to be used??