S8 text messages not sending

Asteroid

S8 text messages not sending

[ Edited ]

This started happening yesterday. I would send a text and it would just show the thinking circle forever and say "sending". I also wouldn't receive messages either... Until I finally restart my phone and then everything would flow through. Since the first time, I've had to do this 3 more times in just the last day. What happened and how can I fix it?

See more topics labeled with:

78 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: S8 text messages not sending

Hello there, @usersBWecmQEDf. We're glad you reached out here with your concern.
Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Thanks for your help. I did do all of this yesterday and I removed any new apps I downloaded recently. It worked for about 2 hours and then the issue started up again. And in addition, now those numbers for notifications on each app don't go away after I look at them... How can I fix this permanently? I don't want to have to take all of these steps every day... 

Samsung Moderator

Just to check, while the device was in Safe Mode it worked just fine? It could be an app still on the device causing the problem.  =/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Yes, you are correct. The messages work well in safe mode. I tried uninstalling more apps today. Is there a way to test my apps to find the issue? My work around right now is to leave everything I opened today up and when the problem occurs again I can go back and see what apps I've opened today.. 

Samsung Moderator

Not a bad idea! No matter what it's a bit of a trial and error process. Either slowly removing apps until it stops having problems, or the reverse of removing everything and slowing adding them back on until it freaks back out.

Asteroid

Okay. I've uninstalled everything I use daily and restarted. I'm at a loss now.

Samsung Moderator

So you uninstalled all the apps you have downloaded onto the phone? Basically a full scrub of all of them so you're back to only what was on the device when it was out of the box (not counting pictures and videos or anything)?

Asteroid

I uninstalled the apps I don't use often and also the heavy hitters (Facebook, Snapchat, etc..) There's still a few apps that remain on the phone but I haven't opened or updated them in the last week so I figured they weren't the issue. 

Samsung Moderator

Did you check to see if they had any pending updates before when checking the others? Out of date apps, even ones you don't use, could cause this. Basically all apps run to some small degree in the background. So if they are out of date they can cause havoc without drawing attention to themselves directly.