UPDATE: OREO for Galaxy S8/+ & Note 8 UNLOCKED

Samsung Moderator

UPDATE: OREO for Galaxy S8/+ & Note 8 UNLOCKED

[ Edited ]

Hey all!

Just wanted to provide an update on the upcoming Oreo release for Galaxy S8/+ and Note 8. We know that many of you are super pumped to upgrade to the newest operating system, and we can’t wait to get it into your hand! We’re working hard to ensure we provide you with the best possible experience for your device no matter what carrier or network you use.

We understand that many of you have Unlocked Galaxy S8/+ and Note 8 devices and may be wondering why those with Carrier models are seeing the updates first. The reason for this is that Unlocked devices must go through more rigorous testing than Carrier-specific devices because we need to make sure there is proper network functionality across ALL supported networks. (Ex. Carrier-specific devices are made to handle that one network. Unlocked devices need to be able to handle ANY / ALL compatible networks. Thus, they require some more preparation.)

Normally, the process for Unlocked phones testing is:

1. Samsung Development: The carrier and the Samsung have agreed to support a new software update. Samsung starts working on the update.
  2. Carrier Testing: During this stage, the device will go through the carrier certification process testing to make sure you get the best quality software possible.
  3. Complete & Disperse: The software has been approved to launch and is now available. When it's ready for you, your device will provide a notification that the update is available, and how to download it.

With this being said, we’re working with our Carriers to get Oreo out to ALL eligible Galaxy S8/+ and Note 8 devices within the next 2-3 weeks. Although we can’t guarantee an exact date as its pending final testing, we promise to update this thread (and your devices!) the moment it becomes available. Once Oreo reaches your device, be sure to respond here with your customizations and thoughts!

Cheers!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

See more topics labeled with:

307 REPLIES
moe
Galaxy

Re: UPDATE: OREO for Galaxy S8/+ & Note 8 UNLOCKED

How come there's no mention of the beta in here? I'm still stuck on the latest one with no option of going back to Nougat. Now I have to wait an additional 2 - 3 weeks, after waiting months for the official build?

I mean I get it, you guys need time for a perfect build, but why did Samsung wait until now to do it? 

Constellation

I do understand this but from our perspective this os was released almost 1 year ago....this is not a new release for sure. The feeling is that the company priority is the new phone release and not customers that already have phones. If the comany is not able to keep up with the software release probably people like me will migrate to other providers that can guarantee at least 2-3 years software support. 

Too bad that the priority is not customer satisfaction.

Well said
Constellation

I'm using my US Unlocked S8+ on AT&T; since you're carrier-testing, have VoLTE and/or Wifi Calling been added?

Constellation

Well with that being said this will be the last Samsung I buy I will be going to the pixel XL 2 that's ridiculous you've been testing this 4 months the money we pay for these devices is a lot more than the carrier people pay no customer service whatsoever

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

This makes no sense. Samsung sent out updates extremely quickly for 2 carrier versions and an unlocked version for each build, on top of fixing bugs and adding new features.

Then there are the international versions, which do not follow this at all. Their unlocked versions got it first, or followed quickly after the carrier versions.

Finally, is this supposed also explain why unlocked is usually several months behind in security updates? It takes Samsung and its carriers that long to vet updates? That's bullcrap. If it's true, then your update system seriously needs to be revamped when your competitors don't have the same problems.

When Oreo finally comes to unlocked, we better have all the carrier features we're missing like visual voicemail, Wi-Fi calling and so on...

Constellation

This is such a Joke. Can't wait to ditch Samsung. Thanks for nothing.

Constellation

Sounds a little unjustified (BS). Are you telling me that for the international unlocked version, you need approval from every carrier in the world? I don't see you guys doing that and managing a release for the international version a FULL month early.

Asteroid

The real truth: carriers have made a deal where Samsung has agreed to update unlocked devices last so US customers are forced to buy the carrier-bloated phones.  The international unlocked phones have had oreo for a month.  Lol.