Used Space in Samsung Cloud after Backup

Constellation

Used Space in Samsung Cloud after Backup

Hello,

My question is about the used space in Samsung Cloud after I finish a backup.

When I go to my "Backup settings", I have selected everything to be backed up (Phone, Clock, Home Screen, Apps, Settings, Messages, Voice Recorder, Documents) except Music.

This screen shows that I have a total of 3.41 GB of data to back up. However, after the backup is successfully completed, I have only 140.89 MB of used space on my Samsung Cloud out of my 15 GB available. I would expect to have 3.41 GB of used space in my Samsung Cloud.

Is this normal? Where is all the 3.41 GB stored?

See more topics labeled with:

6 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Used Space in Samsung Cloud after Backup

Hello @IRQ_Neo

Are you getting any error messages? It almost sounds as though the backup isn't going through.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

No errors. Like I mentioned before, the backup is successfully completed.

I deleted everything in my Samsung Cloud, got zero data used out of my 15 GB, did a new backup from my phone and I still get the same results. Under 200 MB of data used.

Maybe Samsung backup doesn't backup the apps, just saves a reference to them? If that's the case, then the "Backup settings" is displaying the wrong information about how much space it would use.

Constellation

I tested uninstalling a third-party app, and using the Samsung Restore (Cloud) in order to see if it would restore that particular app. It did, even though the space used in my Cloud is under 200 MB.

This is still a mystery, and the goal of this post is to understand how this works.

Samsung Moderator

Hmm, let's see....  *Pulls out a list*

The following data can be synced for the apps below:

• Calendar (Saved in Samsung account) - Events and tasks
  • Contacts (Saved in Samsung account) - Contact list, email addresses, postal addresses, and business cards
  • Internet - Bookmarks, saved pages, and open tabs
  • Keyboard data - Predictive text
  • S Note - Action memos, notes, and categories
  • Samsung Notes - Samsung Notes items such as memos, scrapbooks, and drawings
  • Samsung Pass - Sign-in information

Ah there we go, no apps. I know that Smart Switch saves a list of apps but not the apps themselves either. So that would definitely explain why the Cloud isn't as full as expected.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

What you just mentioned is not part of the "Backup settings" I previously mentioned. I'm using the correct terminology seeing on my Galaxy S8 under settings.

Settings -> Cloud and accounts -> Backup and restore -> Backup settings

You just mentioned the Data to SYNC under Settings -> Cloud and accounts -> Samsung Cloud

Constellation

It seems nobody knows the answer to my question. I'm surprised because this is a feature in all Galaxy S8/S8+ and there are a lot of people using those devices.