Wireless Charging Paused

Asteroid

Wireless Charging Paused

Just got the S8+ today.  I attempted to use my wife's Samsung lay down fast charger but it will not charge.  It keeps blinking charging paused.  As the YouTube link suggests, I'm not the only one experiencing this.  Using the charger and cable that came with the phone works just fine.  Just no wireless.

109 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Wireless Charging Paused

I'm having the same issue. Hoping a software update will fix this 

Samsung Moderator

Hey there folks.

It's possible that if the charger is an older model that it's just not able to charge the newest phone. Same thing happened with the really old wireless chargers when the S7 and S7 Edge came out. There might be an update to fix that, or it might need one of the new wireless chargers in order to work.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Qi is a wireless charging standard deployed the world over as a universal means of charging devices.  Qi charging hotspots exist all over; at airports, coffee shops, etc..  This isn't a Samsung exclusive thing that they're free to unilaterally mess with and obsolete, though they are party to the consortium.

On the Samsung site for the specific charger (though it isn't just one charger) I used claim:

"Qi certified by WPC (Wireless Power Consortium) to support wireless charging on all Qi-enabled devices"  further they claim on their compatibility list the S8+ to be one of the supported devices.

Almost certainly this is a firmware bug (crosses fingers it's not hardware).  Please don't confuse the issue with Samsung appologetics lacking foundation.

Constellation

I'm having the same issue.  

Asteroid

I've discovered that it might have something to do specifically with the "fast-charging" function.  I tried powering the wireless pad with different cables and different chargers (plugins).  

The cable didn't seem to make any difference, whether the original cable that came with the charger or another one; same behavior.  

Next, I tried different chargers plugged into the wireless pad.  Both the original charger that came with the pad and the charger that came with my S8+.  Both are "fast-chargers" but neither worked.  Finally I plugged in a regular Anker 2.4A usb power supply.  Success, sort of.  My S8+ was able to negotiate and charge on the wireless pad, however only at the standard, non-fast-charge rate.

At least in my mind that seems to building a case for a firmware issue.

Constellation

I'm having this same issue too =(

Constellation

userSK726wKxHC wrote:

Just got the S8+ today.  I attempted to use my wife's Samsung lay down fast charger but it will not charge.  It keeps blinking charging paused.  As the YouTube link suggests, I'm not the only one experiencing this.  Using the charger and cable that came with the phone works just fine.  Just no wireless.

I have an S8 and I can confirm that i am able to wirelessly charge my phone with Samsung's Fast Charge Wireless charger (Last year model). 

Astronaut

I got my 8+ today and the upright Samsung charging dock. It's saying "charging paused" when I try to charge it from the dock. I made sure everything was updated, I tried swtiching cords and adapter and I tried my boyfriends S6 which worked fine. (Fast charge with no issues). So I know it works but not with my phone. Must need an update or something.

Constellation

I had the same problem with mine until now....

I went to Best Buy. The samsung rep plugged up my wireless charger to their cords and brick. Everything worked fine. He looked the problem up in their database and said the only problem listed says it could be the brick (the park that plugs into the wall). He tried it on several of their wireless charging docks and it worked just fine. 

I came home and tried all 4 bricks that I have that are for adaptive wireless fast charging. NONE of them worked. I tried multiple outlets in my entire house. No success. Different cables/cords. Still no success. I'm not sure why it all worked with my s7 edge and not the s8, but I was ready to give up. 

Just for s & g I grabbed my "Tech & Go" (Walgreen's name brand usb wall charger with 2 ports - one for fast charging and one for regular charging.) Its a little colored block if you are looking for one.  It worked! I checked the output on both "bricks" (Samung and Walgreens) and they are the same. I then checked to see how fast my phone would charge. My s8 said the battery was at 83%, and it would take 35 minutes to reach a full charge. At Best Buy on the stock "adaptive fast charging" brick my battery was at 86% and said it would reach a full charge in 29 mintes. So.........it works for me! Finally! 

I tried all the tips and tricks listed here and NOTHING worked for me. Maybe this will help others. Let me know! Good luck at endng another Samsung frustration!!! LOL.