cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usereXjsHcBBP8
Asteroid

Adaptive brightness not working after Android 9.0 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Two days ago my phone updated to Android 9.0 and now the adaptive brightness feature seems all messed up. The setting is on, but it seems to always push my brightness to near max levels, I have never actually seen the screen dim at all. Even sitting in a bright office my screen is so bright it starts to hurt my eyes. On previous android versions, I could still move the slider and the phone "learned" the brightness levels that I liked. Now if the adaptive setting is on, the slider is grayed out and I can't adjust anything. Anyone else have these issues or know a fix?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gumby78
Astronaut

Re: Adaptive brightness not working after Android 9.0 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION
9 REPLIES 9
Gumby78
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Reading another forum makes me think adaptive brightness features may not be totally integrated with S8s on new update. Of course occasionally I do have to periodically turn my Note 9 auto setting off and back on for it to auto adjust....

usereXjsHcBBP8
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine doesn't seem to adjust at all.  As soon as I click to turn adaptive brightness on it just goes to max power and even if I put my finger over the sensor to simulate a dark room, it stays at full brightness.  Its a pain because I have to turn brightness down when I am inside, but as soon as you go into the sun, I can't see my screen anymore and have to turn brightness up.  This feature was great before the update, but now seems totally broken.

Gumby78
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
usereXjsHcBBP8
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

They may have helped.  I tried that same thing yesterday, but I didn't notice the sensor to the left of earpiece only the right.  This time I covered both and it may have worked.  Thanks.

Any thoughts on proximity sensor?  Since the update my screen won't turn off anymore while I am on a call and my cheek keeps hitting buttons and turning flashlight and all other manners of annoyance.

Gumby78
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try this, most changes are in settings so far.

https://youtu.be/1WAZTAtkQd4

usereXjsHcBBP8
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That seems to be for something different.  Looks like it is something to mute the volume or feedback, not turning screen on and off.

Gumby78
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Turn off and on which is all we need to do

usereXjsHcBBP8
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, went back in and just turned on, then back off.  We will see what happens.

Gumby78
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try this settings, apps, phone, force stop