cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usera0XJPx0oEv
Constellation

Battery drain 5% per hour in Idle Mode (new S8)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello guys!

I bought 2 days ago my first android cellphone the regular samsung s8. I noticed now today that every hour i loose 5% battery. Im now not sure if this is completly normal since before i had an iphone 6 which would loose in 24hours around 10-15%?

I have closed all apps and every app is set in sleep mode. I have turned off so many stuff already. Always Screen On was disabled by default. Probably with that on it would be 10% per hour.

The phone shows that i can use it for 10 hours +/- when it has 100%.

I have installed only a few apps so far and when they are not in sleep mode they use only around 0.04% or so.

Thanks alot for the help.

EDIT: I removed now the sim card for an hour and i lost nothing (0%), how can this be what is the problem here? Looks like the problem really comes "just" from the low signal at home.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
usera0XJPx0oEv
Constellation

Re: Battery drain 5% per hour in Idle Mode (new S8)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Guys,

thanks alot for your replies. I found yesterday the solution for this/my problem. I went into the store where i bought the phone, and asked for help. The guy then told me that it must be from the low signal/network searching since he had also the same problem. He also said that he is always only on 3G network because he has very poor 4G connection.

So i went home and changed this Setting:

Connections -> Mobile Networks

Then switch in Network Mode from 4G/3G/2G to only 3G.

And i couldnt belive it myself the battery drain was gone.

Here are my notes from the battery status before and after:

When i noticed the problem:

08:00 -> 93%

09:00 -> 88% (lost 5%, after 1hour)

10:00 -> 83% (lost 5%, after 1 hour) 

Removed SimCard and waited 1 hour

11:00 -> 83% (lost nothing)

(Phone recharged during the day, since i used it alot Smiley Happy)

---------------------------------

22:00 -> 94% (enabled only 3G)

23:00 -> 94% (lost nothing, after 1hour)

went to sleep

06:00 -> 91%(lost only 3%!, after 7hours)

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
userxQt7HsUWE8
Astronaut

Battery drain 5% per hour in Idle Mode (new S8)

JUMP TO SOLUTION
hey I just got my phone too 3 dyas ago and have noticed the same problem . I just switched from an iPhone 6s . I have the hear S3 watch too and the battery life is even worse . I am going to wait for another couple if days and if it keeps happening I'm calling Samsung .
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usera0XJPx0oEv @userxQt7HsUWE8 are you usually using Mobile Data or WiFi? Those numbers you mentioned definitely aren't right. It may be hard to track down the power drain. In your battery usage, what is the main power hog? I usually lose the only about 1 or 2% while idle/per hr. 3% if the AOD is on. 

usera0XJPx0oEv
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Guys,

thanks alot for your replies. I found yesterday the solution for this/my problem. I went into the store where i bought the phone, and asked for help. The guy then told me that it must be from the low signal/network searching since he had also the same problem. He also said that he is always only on 3G network because he has very poor 4G connection.

So i went home and changed this Setting:

Connections -> Mobile Networks

Then switch in Network Mode from 4G/3G/2G to only 3G.

And i couldnt belive it myself the battery drain was gone.

Here are my notes from the battery status before and after:

When i noticed the problem:

08:00 -> 93%

09:00 -> 88% (lost 5%, after 1hour)

10:00 -> 83% (lost 5%, after 1 hour) 

Removed SimCard and waited 1 hour

11:00 -> 83% (lost nothing)

(Phone recharged during the day, since i used it alot Smiley Happy)

---------------------------------

22:00 -> 94% (enabled only 3G)

23:00 -> 94% (lost nothing, after 1hour)

went to sleep

06:00 -> 91%(lost only 3%!, after 7hours)

View solution in original post

ThrowinRocks
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Never had an issue with any iphone. 100% at 11:00 PM

7:30 AM 100% 

But I use AOD so. LOL

userYPaP5x0qcP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

just wanted to ask you at that low drain rate, do you have Bixby and AOD turned on?

My S8 Plus is only a month old, and it's now draining 16% per hour on WIFI. Without WIFI nor mobile network, it's still 1% per hour.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you mind providing me with some more information about your device, @userYPaP5x0qcP?

Could you go to Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery > Battery Usage? If you could post a screenshot of that on this page, it would be greatly appreciated.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userYPaP5x0qcP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Trevor,

thank you for the response. I have been collecting some more results over a couple of days. 

The 16% drain was possibly from SanDisk Cloud combined with bad WIFI, but I cannot prove which one. I will need to test the SanDisk Cloud again.

I'm posting two sets of GSAM readings.

Test conditions are WIFI off, mobile network mode 4G, same mobile provider (two SIM cards), AOD off, display at highest resolutions.

Did a clear cache partition for S8 Plus the day before.

I feel the S8 Plus drain rate is still higher than it's supposed to be, with high percentage in cell standby. 2.4% per hour means it will go from 100% to 80% idle overnight.  At comparably equal battery level, Sharp Z3 offers 24hours more than S8 Plus.

S8 Plus

Drain rate 2.3%, 2hours since unplugged.

Screenshot_20180105-182326.jpgS8 Plus GSAMScreenshot_20180105-182411.jpgS8 Plus battery usage

Sharp Z3

Drain rate 1.4%, 7hours since unplugged.

Screenshot_20180105-183452.pngSharp Z3 GSAMScreenshot_20180105-183538.pngSharp Z3 battery usage

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks so much for all of that detail, @userYPaP5x0qcP. Would you mind specifying some information for me?

• Model Number
  • Baseband version
  • Carrier

You can find this information in Settings > About Phone. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userYPaP5x0qcP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry I missed those.

model SM-G955FD

G955FXXU1AQK7

The carrier is Taiwan Mobile https://english.taiwanmobile.com/

Screenshot_20180106-002353.jpgSmartSelectImage_2018-01-06-00-18-56.pngSignal strength