cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Justin_1
Constellation

Battery drainig abnormally fast the last couple of days.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ive had the s8 since oct 2017 and it worked great, couldnt complain about anything (allthought updates could be a bit more frequent).

Anyway, the last few days the battery semmed to drain way too fast, to the point where I had to charge the phone during the day because it went under 15% at around 13:00. It's at 100% when I start the day at 5:30 and before this week I would get at least to 19:00 before reaching 15%. I tryied uninstalling apps, disabling default apps that I never use but the phone estimates 11h and 49mins of use when I clearly remember that it would estimate over 25h just last month. I havent changed my usage except the fact that I started the data on the phone two days ago. But it cant be the data because I only turned it off around two weeks ago and it wasnt abnormally draining when it was on. I havent change the way I used my phone so I really dont know what could be happening.

Is there a way to monitor which apps and services are running because it the usage really got noticeble today when I was in class and my phone was laying on the table and was losing about 1% every two minutes with the AOD and when I checked the recent battery usage page there were no apps standing out.

Here is a screenshot of the estimated battery life:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y5-YA2djRkyPyXml7KiKtZY3AtxRbKAZ/view?usp=drivesdk

EDIT

Just to be clear, the last app I installed that I didnt uninstall today is OpenVPN. But its only on on wifi and that is around 4-5 h a day. And the battery issue didnt start when I installed this particular app.

Kind of dissapointing that OREO was supposed to offer better battery life but it seems that it is actually worse sadly.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supernova

Re: Battery drainig abnormally fast the last couple of days.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, @userqogDD9HV6A, based on that information you provided you seem to be experiencing pretty normal battery drain. Using a VPN or anything that is constantly monitoring your network traffic, this will deplete your battery more quickly than your standard apps. Another thing that may be contributing to this is your AOD, as this is keeping your screen on constantly, despite it being OLED there is still some battery drain happening to keep that screen on.

Would you mind providing some info about your device?

* Model Number
* Baseband Version

* Carrier

You can find that info in Settings > About Phone. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

3 REPLIES 3
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, @userqogDD9HV6A, based on that information you provided you seem to be experiencing pretty normal battery drain. Using a VPN or anything that is constantly monitoring your network traffic, this will deplete your battery more quickly than your standard apps. Another thing that may be contributing to this is your AOD, as this is keeping your screen on constantly, despite it being OLED there is still some battery drain happening to keep that screen on.

Would you mind providing some info about your device?

* Model Number
* Baseband Version

* Carrier

You can find that info in Settings > About Phone. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Justin_1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I really appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us about this and for providing that information, @Justin_1.

It looks like you have an international model, as such, we do not have the models necessary to test here. We recommend that you reach out to you regional support for the highest level of support for your device.

Do you keep features such as GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. active throughout the day or do you deactivate them as needed? Do you keep features such as Always-On display or the brightness up at a high percentages? Additionally, have you updated all of your applications after this system updated?