cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usermy5iH6m7vt
Constellation

Re: Beware! The trade in program by Samsung is a huge scam!

Identical situation here. S7 Edge, in almost flawless shape shipped in box with packing paper all around it. Got the same type of photo from them - super zoomed in, most definitely not my phone. I plan on disputing the charge with TDBank but others report that it won't help. Has anyone successfully resolved their predicament? Samsung literally stole $275 from me. 

If they don't resolve it, I will not spend another dime on a Samsung product. Sure, doesn't affect their bottom line but I will at least have the satisfaction of not giving Samsung many thousands of dollars that they would have otherwise gotten from me over the course of my lifetime.

user4dAwNHQu5R
Cosmic Ray

Yes, I got my full trade in value after filing formal complaints with BBB and the California Attorney General & I let Samsung know they would be receiving the complaints. I got an email from Samsung about a week after filing the complaints telling me they were sorry and that they had credited my account for the balance of the trade in value

usermy5iH6m7vt
Constellation

Thank you. Very helpful information.

userRPypF6kirm
Asteroid

Same here. Sent my S7 in that was kept so nice I didn't even want to trade it in. It was only 19 months old. Today I get an email saying the screen was defective and they're going to bill my samsung credit account $275. The picture they sent me was ridiculous and was of the top corner of a non working display that was all white. I'm furious. They will get back to me in a week. Love my 9+, but no matter the outcome I'll be switching to iphone as soon as I can afford the trade in difference. Total BS.

userdHTzGHMZNT
Constellation

As a long time Samsung customer I find these stories a bit scary, and hard to believe. I got my new S9 Note today and was wondering where to send my S8 Active.

I fumble my way into this thread and read every complaint and have to believe some of these stories have merit. I have always paid cash for my phones so I have real doubts now. My phone (S8) is mint and less than a year old and they are offering 200 dollars which is fine, but if Samsung gave me any less or say the phone is not 100 percent then I would be super angry, and it has nothing to do about money, and everything to do about the trust I thought I had built up with them over the years.

I still believe that, but their agreement said nothing about sending my old phone to a third party, as I am one of those type that read the fine print as I am a retired attorney. Let's say all those horror stories are true playing Lucifers advocate here. In every case Samsung have breached their own agreement as they never used verbiage mentioning a third party and the agreement used the word "We" and legally that means Samsung and no one else. In courts in the US the word "We" can only refer to Samsung. Although I can only trust Samsung as they have always been honest with me, but is their armour losing its luster with their success?

user4dAwNHQu5R
Cosmic Ray

@userdHTzGHMZNT wrote:

As a long time Samsung customer I find these stories a bit scary, and hard to believe. I got my new S9 Note today and was wondering where to send my S8 Active.

I fumble my way into this thread and read every complaint and have to believe some of these stories have merit. I have always paid cash for my phones so I have real doubts now. My phone (S8) is mint and less than a year old and they are offering 200 dollars which is fine, but if Samsung gave me any less or say the phone is not 100 percent then I would be super angry, and it has nothing to do about money, and everything to do about the trust I thought I had built up with them over the years.

I still believe that, but their agreement said nothing about sending my old phone to a third party, as I am one of those type that read the fine print as I am a retired attorney. Let's say all those horror stories are true playing Lucifers advocate here. In every case Samsung have breached their own agreement as they never used verbiage mentioning a third party and the agreement used the word "We" and legally that means Samsung and no one else. In courts in the US the word "We" can only refer to Samsung. Although I can only trust Samsung as they have always been honest with me, but is their armour losing its luster with their success?

Well it's your choice whether to believe them or not, but it's unlikely that all these people would take the time to make up stories and post them here.  And if you are a retired attorney you should know that when you bought your phone unless you opted out within 30 days you are now obligated to resolve claims via arbitration.  Samsung has enough attorneys and can make that experience miserable enough that they know that they are basically never going to have to pay a claim.   I resolved my issue with them by contacting the California AG and BBB within a week they refunded my money.  It also helped that I took not only photos but a video of the phone in order to prove it was operational and undamaged when I sent it to them

usernKGQh3ZI3u
Asteroid

If you decide to trade it in to them just be ready for a possible issue. I hope it doesn't happen for you, but it did to me and apparently a lot of others. I love Samsung phones, but I'm fully finished with trading them in anything. I was able to get them to credit the money they owed after going through the BBB.

Bigbaby
Constellation

It's not worth the headache. Sell it yourself! If you decide to trade in take lots of pics even record the phone working.

uservjzxabW5I7
Asteroid

I had similar experience and Samsung charged me $325. Traded in a perfect Note 5 for Note 8 and turned out to be an indisputable SCAM. They kept my phone for a made up reason. Please don't waste your time and money on Samsung trade in. It's my first and last time buying directly from Samsung!!! 

userXJfhObG2lT
Astronaut

Here's my lingering suspicion.   There are probably some very crooked QA people working at the trade-in facility purposefully labelling mint condition devices as defective.  I would assume that Samsung typically disposes of defective trade-ins, so these workers are intentionally mislabeling these perfect condition trade-in phones, keeping them, and selling them.   The higher ups probably have no idea and don't care about some used phones, so this theft is happening without their knowledge.    It is absolutely outrageous that Samsung has the sole discretion in making this determination.