JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Blue dot text message by contact

(Topic created: 03-14-2020 11:47 AM)
userXtsgcad5Ta
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Does anybody know what the blue dot Is on the icon next to the person's name in the text message app? Only shows there. Only on select contacts.

107 Replies
userU72KcFvvBb
Astronaut
Options

I have the same issue I was having being unsure of these little blue dots that appeared. My bf and I both have the Galaxy A20 and we both all of a sudden after having these phones a cpl months had these blue dots appear next to contact icon in msg app. But it makes sense ur answer below. Except for I think some user do have Samsung but no blue dot I'll have to investigate further

@MrZell wrote:

This may be an indication of other Samsung users showing that your ability to use features like a live message between two contacts who have a Samsung Device.

Do you see any blue dots on a contact profile that isn't a Samsung device?

0 Likes
sandraDecker
Cosmic Ray
Options

I don't think so but one person I have not spoke to her for a min.

0 Likes
sandraDecker
Cosmic Ray
Options

Plz help me with this. I still don't have a real answer yet. There is millions on people on here plz chime in for me. Thank you.

0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options

I recommend reaching out to your carrier regarding this.

0 Likes
userr61E0Cwc21
Constellation
Options

I think them users have the ability to see that the text they sent you has been delivered, and when you read it, on there screen it will say read..  try sending them a text.. when they get text it will say delivered on your screan, and when they open it, it will switch to "read" on your screen

userc1KWnRNSmY
Constellation
Options

The dot clearly indicates compatibility with another contact to use special features only available on certain phones (not just Samsung). For example, the "chat message" feature. Read on: Why are my messages sometimes sent as chat and sometimes as texts?

Messages are sent as chats if the person you’re messaging has Message+, Rich Communication Services (RCS) and a data connection. Otherwise messages will be sent as text or picture messages. (This function isn’t supported on iOS.) You’ll always know which type of message will be sent (text, picture message or chat) before you send it.

You can see whether you’ve sent a text or a chat – most devices show them in different colours. Consult your device manual for specific advice.

sandraDecker
Cosmic Ray
Options

Thank you.  

0 Likes
userF4DHMtf5lg
Constellation
Options

It is for which contacts you can make VIDEO CALLS to through the STANDARD CALLING APP. I have 7 phones on my plan, 3 are S9 plus 2 are note 10 plus. 4 of us have the blue dot and can video chat, my daughter has a note 10 plus UNLOCKED VERSION hers does not have the blue dot and we CANT VIDEO CHAT THROUGH THE STANDARD CALLING APP .... we can only video chat through messenger. Because of that I am trading her phone in for the S20 carrier version. I didnt know that the unlocked versions didnt offer video calling, that software comes from the carriers and they cant add it for you and I dont want to add it myself. SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, THE BLUE DOT MEANS YOU CAN VIDEO CHAT WITH YOUR CONTACT REGARDLESS IF YOU ARE AT&T AND THEY ARE TMOBILE OR IF YOU HAVE A NOTE 10 AND THEY HAVE AN S9.

0 Likes
bpark32
Halo
Options

Is everybody you mentioned on at&t?  So far as I can tell the blue dot indicates a contact that is on the AT&T network. I think it is showing the activation of "Advanced Messaging".  I'm not positive what it indicates, but I ONLY see it with in network contacts... 

0 Likes
userKZhBM4ZoKZ
Constellation
Options

how do i get rid of the blue dot next to some of the contacts in my text messages?  i don't need to be told why it's there; how do i get rid of it?