cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BacchusJr
Asteroid

Caller ID and S.p.a.m. Protection turning off since Android Pie Update

Since Pie came down, the built in Caller ID and S.p.a.m. Protection keeps turning off. And yes, I have looked at the other solutions. I'm not certain that they will work for me.

Example:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8/SOLUTION-FOR-THE-CALLER-ID-HAS-STOPPED/m-p/127334#M148...

The fix is:
1. Go to Settings>Apps>Show All Apps>Caller ID>Storage>Clear Data.
2. If the issue persists, Force Stop the Application from that same screen.

On my Unlocked Galaxy S8 in the US (carrier is Verizon), when I go to Settings>Apps>Show All, I don't have a Caller ID. I have something called Call Provider. I've tried the same there. Not sure if that will work. I'll report back.

Anyone else seeing the same? Is Caller ID part of Call Provider?  I had no issues with this on Android 8/Oreo. Again, this is only since the Android 9/Pie update.

Thank You in Advance!
BacchusJr
Screenshot_20190422-120200_Settings.jpg

20 REPLIES 20
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Caller ID and S.p.a.m. Protection turning off since Android Pie Update

Have you spoken with your carrier regarding this?

BacchusJr
Asteroid

I'm not sure they will help as the phone was bought unlocked from Samsung. There is nothing from the carrier in/on the phone except the SIM. And this wasn't an issue prior to the Pie install.

JennyMae
Constellation

I Have same issue. I get Call Protect, but no Caller ID app. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@JennyMae If you force stop and disable Call Protect, your caller ID should start working. 

Highlighted
BacchusJr
Asteroid

I've tried stopping Call Provider, you cannot. So I've cleared the cache, per another article, and it doesn't work. Still having the issue. There is nothing called "Caller ID" or "Call Protection" on the phone.

BacchusJr
Asteroid

And I just figured out that Call Provider is for my Gear Watch. So it won't help... :/

xAmyx
Asteroid

I dont have caller ID storage. All I have is call, and phone, in system apps. My caller ID and S p a m protection turns itself off, when switching between mobile data, and wifi. Not when the phone is restarted. I need a fix. I did go into those app permissions, and disabled the change system settings. I did the same with the wifi permissions, but it didnt help.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you tried force stopping and disabling the Call protect in your system apps?

Have you reached out directly to your carrier?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userpVFAIgbjlv
Astronaut

I find it mildly amusing that Samsung employees in here are still trying to blame the provider for this problem, and a little bit annoying. You all need to get on the same page with this issue. 

I have a factory unlocked SM-G955U1 with this same issue. My sim card is from T-Mobile. 

I have noticed this problem also on my phone since Pie update and have been trying to search around to find what the problem was. I found this page first on the Samsung forums as I try to search here HOPEING to get a reliable answer from someone at Samsung. Apparently in this matter this is not the case. I do not have any of the system apps that Samsung employees have talked about in this thread as my phone is not with AT&T. This is a systemic BORKED problem with Samsung messing around with the stock Android software to make sure the Samsung apps get priority over Android apps that they try to replace, usually with poor results. 

After doing some searching around on a MUCH more reliable website, I have seen several reports linking this problem with either the Samsung "adjusted" version of Pie, and/or also the security update that was released at the same time. I have seen reliable evidence that after the latest security update G950FXXU4DSDA/G950FXXU4DSD6 which has been rolled out in Germany, has apparently resolved the issue. I can only hope that aside from the several reports I have seen from people already that this seems to fix the problem, that this update also fixes the issue for US S8/S8+ and some of the Note 8 people who seem to be having this problem also.