cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
McVitas
Cosmic Ray

Caller - do you know this number? - what is this and how do I get rid of it?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, something happened and now whenever someone call sme I get this blue screen over half of the display asking me if I know this number (even if it is in my frikin contacts!) and I can tap buttons Spam, Express, Scam or others. Under these buttons there is an advertisement. I can't make a screenshot because "security policies prevent you from making screenshot" or something. I did not find any app which seems to be doing this and I can't see any information there like what it is and how do I turn it off. Anybody has seen this and can tell me how to remove it please?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Red Giant

Re: Caller - do you know this number? - what is this and how do I get rid of it?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good afternoon @McVitas

It seems like an app may be pushing advertisements onto your phone. There is one way we can check. I would like you to place your phone in safe mode. What this does is it temporarily deactivates any app that was not preinstalled on your phone. Start with the phone turned off, then when you are powering it on, press and hold down on the volume down button as you power it on. Keep the volume down button held until you get to the home screen. If successful, it should say "Safe mode" on the home screen. Then have someone call you with your phone in this state to test and see if this message pops up while in safe mode.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Red Giant

Re: Caller - do you know this number? - what is this and how do I get rid of it?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good afternoon @McVitas

It seems like an app may be pushing advertisements onto your phone. There is one way we can check. I would like you to place your phone in safe mode. What this does is it temporarily deactivates any app that was not preinstalled on your phone. Start with the phone turned off, then when you are powering it on, press and hold down on the volume down button as you power it on. Keep the volume down button held until you get to the home screen. If successful, it should say "Safe mode" on the home screen. Then have someone call you with your phone in this state to test and see if this message pops up while in safe mode.

View solution in original post

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

safe mode worked nice and it did not happen there. looks like it was this VivaVideo app

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/samsung-galaxy-help-unknown-app-t3670422/page5

I disabled phone and other permissions of it.

Although now after I deactivated safe mode I noticed many settings got reset! My keyboard switched back to samsung, my theme from dark to white, wallpaper and icons changed to default! That is not very nice...

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@McVitas

I didn't know you had so many custom settings, I apologize if I didn't warn you well enough. I mentioned that safe mode would temporarily deactivate any third party apps, which would switch those things to default. I am glad that you managed to narrow down which app was causing those advertisements.