JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can we get a phone without a curved screen?

(Topic created on: 11/28/20 12:20 PM)
userYEawiLZYym
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I picked the S8+ when it came out because of its technical features and Samsung quality in spite of the curved screen.  Yes it looks nice, but it makes for having an adequate screen protector virtually impossible. 

Instead of a flat display with the ability to have a rock solid glass protector that adheres to the whole surface, we are left with only the ability to use cheap plastic curved protectors that just use a bead of semi sticky adhesive around the edge.  The kit bought had 2 in the box (because even the manufacturer knew they were garbage), and they only lasted a month or two each before the glue seam starts to fail and lets in dust under the protector. 

I don't blame the protector for this, I blame the curved screen.

I have been without a protector for a while now and I just got my first scratch.  At least it's a small one but I'm sure it's the first of many to come throughout the life of this phone.

Now I'm not saying do away with the curve all together.  I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to sacrifice function for beauty. But I'm not one of them. With your next round of phones, please give us a flat screen option for those of us who prefer to keep our screens properly protected for a prolonged life. 

Thank you. 

88 Replies
userZFusWux89h
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

Curved screens are a rip off and it boggles the mind that the "independent" reviewers out there don't address this HUGE issue. Do us all a favor and step up with glaring miss of a design failure that leads to too many [expensive] broken screens. 

I'm waiting for the next iPhone and the next Galaxy. After the recent disappointment with the Note20 Ultra "waterfall" screen, I am ready to jump ship. And as we can see from all these remarks, I am not alone. 
I hope you're listening Samsung....

userGKeEgPjkVp
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

No, you won't get anything. The big corporates today depends on riding on the fools ideology by which they see every customer as a fool to milk for cash! (That is those who allowed themselves to be treated as fools)

If they give you back the flat screen, how else would they be getting $300 for each screen replacements when the screen cracked, even on the same day of purchase?  The same thing they did when they started to seal their batteries inside the phone.

It is also the same 'fools ideology' that makes Apple to simply rehash a previous phone and tagged it 'the new iPhone **' and ripped off the unwary always wanting the 'latest'.

The ideology is so endemic to the extent that even if your new Samsung or iPhone's screen start cracking by simply looking at it, many fools would still continue to buy them!

0 Likes
userBT03RW19J5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I completely agree. i know this post is about a year old, but but I gave up my Samsung in October. I LOVE Samsung, but nothing makes me enjoy that curved screen. I hate the curve, and it ended up pushing me away to another brand (I bought the Razer 2 phone). I'd go right back to it if it came out with a flat screen version as they once had, but as of now I'm not intersted in a curved screen, even if I AM a diehard Samsung fan...

user5JGsfKPbJG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

Personally I have always disliked the Samsung Infinity display. The quality of the display itself is fantastic but I don't like the curved edges. Never did. In fact all I've ever bought was Samsung phones up until I bought my last which was the S8. Haven't touched a Samsung phone since. Until they offer a flat panel that's never going to change. Yes they have the budget E phone, but I'm not about to buy a budget phone just to get a flat panel. Samsung doesn't mean that much to me to give up buying a flagship just to get rid of the curves. Each to their own I guess.

userwdvAR7kfXx
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I was a diehard iPhone person but decided to switch because of the camera quality and other things I heard were better than iPhone. I got the Galaxy S10+. I take a lot of pics and videos of my grandson and they are soooo much better quality. I bought an otterbox immediately just as I always have with my iPhone, not knowing that they can't make it with a screen protector because of the curved screen. (I know, I should have known better) I haven't broken my screen yet, but I also haven't had the phone long. Can't get any screen protectors to work, already have a small scratch even though I have never dropped the phone, and I am constantly worried about dropping it as I am a total clutz. I never once had my screen break on my iPhones because I always had the otterbox with the screen protector and I dropped them repeatedly at work where we have a concrete floor. Dropped them getting out of my car. I have even tripped a few times, dropped the phone and it went flying. No broken or scratched screen even once. My daughter never put hers in a case and was constantly breaking the screen, but pays like 60 to get it fixed. Hate that I've switched and now if I, for the first time ever, break my screen, it's going to possibly be expensive. Love the features, hate the screen. Wishing I had stayed with the iPhone. 

userRDBjNa59Jh
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I cant agree more 100%

userPFdtXm87JN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

After breaking my 2nd Galaxy Note with the curved screen and being told that it will cost me $300 to replace it, even though I bought my own screen. I decided to look on line and see if there was any possibility of getting a Samsung without that waste of space, easy to break, good for nothing curved screen. Well apparently I can't :(   I've been an avid Samsung user for 12years and I have loved my Note's (even the 4 that had so many issues), but the last two I purchased, I was forced to get this silly curved screen and even though I had never broke a screen before, both of them shattered on short drops that would have otherwise been protected by my phone case. These silly things came out as an option, I don't know why they made them compulsory when you want a Samsung.   Sumsung, please listen to your customers! Besides if they were that great, every other phone manufacturer would be doing it to, but clearly they aren't.

uservev9Ihyacv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

I find the added glare extremely annoying. Watching a video in a lighted room on the curved screed actually decreases your viewable screen size. I do not like that I didn't have the flat screen option with my Note 8. I will absolutely not purchase another curved phone again.

user8iqX6aqUMr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

@usersFRrD4kJkx wrote:

What use is curved screen for

Designed obsolescence.

CourtneyLynn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I couldn't agree more. I searched this topic on Google just in hopes Samsung would be in the works of going back to the flat screen.

I cracked my screen the day after I got it - I dropped it from 2 feet off the ground which consequently voided the water resistance feature. They didn't even make a curved screen protector for it yet. I finally got it fixed a year later. 

6 months after that, today, just now, I dropped it from sitting on the couch and it cracked again.

Can't use the screen protectors from Zagg even though they've tried so hard to make one that fit.  The touch sensing is way off you have to push hard on your phone.  When it's on there it doesn't stay on it pops off.  It's just a horrible design and they can't seem to get it right. And the curved screen I don't understand it at all anyways because... no matter what you have to protect your phone with a case, which makes the curved "edgeless" screen pointless! (adding case to edgeless phone = phone with edge).  Now my phone not only has a cracked screen but it also lost its water resistance because of it, again.

I really really wish they would come back with a flat screen. When its time to upgrade, I'm switching to the Google pixel because I can't stand not being able to protect a $900 investment... that I use all day, everyday.  And no matter how careful you are it's going to endure some abuse because we're human and accidents happen and we drop our phones.