JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can we get a phone without a curved screen?

(Topic created on: 4/6/19 8:49 PM)
userYEawiLZYym
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I picked the S8+ when it came out because of its technical features and Samsung quality in spite of the curved screen.  Yes it looks nice, but it makes for having an adequate screen protector virtually impossible. 

Instead of a flat display with the ability to have a rock solid glass protector that adheres to the whole surface, we are left with only the ability to use cheap plastic curved protectors that just use a bead of semi sticky adhesive around the edge.  The kit bought had 2 in the box (because even the manufacturer knew they were garbage), and they only lasted a month or two each before the glue seam starts to fail and lets in dust under the protector. 

I don't blame the protector for this, I blame the curved screen.

I have been without a protector for a while now and I just got my first scratch.  At least it's a small one but I'm sure it's the first of many to come throughout the life of this phone.

Now I'm not saying do away with the curve all together.  I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to sacrifice function for beauty. But I'm not one of them. With your next round of phones, please give us a flat screen option for those of us who prefer to keep our screens properly protected for a prolonged life. 

Thank you. 

88 Replies
usert4QUh50MOr
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

It wasn't really clear that it was from the advertising I saw that it was flat (S10e). I noticed a few others mentioned it, and it does look flat in pictures. It's actually cheaper anyway, so I might go that way instead of the Note 9. A few sacrifices for a cheaper, more durable phone. First I was ticked at Samsung because they refuse to tell me if a part for my washer will ever be available until I spend $120 for a professional diagnosis when we know exactly what is wrong (multimeter and some electrical skills), yet the part is only $120. Now this whole thing with the curved screen. It's just a gimmick. Mine broke first from a 1-foot fall on the curve, and my husband's broke three times, all in his pocket. Such a lame feature. It has absolutely no point. Get it together, Samsung. We have 3 TVs, a printer, washer and dryer, and many Samsung phones over the years. You're about to lose us as customers. 

0 Likes
Samsung_K4VNOSC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I tend to forget my phone even has a screen curve to it.

I don't use a case or protector on my phone either.

I have yet to drop the phone, or have any screen damage. I've had it almost a year now.

Should probably take better care of your stuff if you have issues.

Galaxy S9+

userIad91bZ5AG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

Oh, don't be so uppetiy you. Accidents happens with the rest of us flawed humans It's still impractical for a lot of people and ugly.

userrdy7mi3KF2
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I started a petition on change.org for flagship flat screen phones. Lets see if they will hear us out.

[edit]

cweadon
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

I just don't get it. Bought a case on Amazon for $10. Protects screen as well as phone. No problems... Ever. Responsiveness is perfect, no cracks, nothing. 

I repeat... I don't get the problem. The screen is beautiful.

Either way, doesn't matter since the new S20's are flat. Bye bye beautiful curved screen.

0 Likes
userTPXdXkIYi5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

yes please listen to customer

i hate curve screen please stop making it

now i use galaxy s7 edge i buy it from my dad

it make me so annoying when i get accidentally touch because curve screen

it very suck

i will switch to other brand if you not change

user011K2Sh2Oi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

I love my Galaxy s8 +. Maybe if you all buy from Samsung store you will be able to get a good screen product and case for your phone. I dropped mine couple of times n screen really protected from cracking. Working great for me.

0 Likes
user9zJGfOhdaQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

Hey Samsung, are you listening? The curved screens are terrible. They don't add to our experience and they make us spend more money. I am a diehard Note fan and I have seriously been thinking about iphone just so I don't have to deal with this dang curved screen issue. I used to brag to iphone users at how tough my phone was and how it doesn't break, ever and theirs is so fragile. Well, that has now switched. even with glass and case protection. We do not like this feature. Get rid of it already!

Solution
ShadowArtist201
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S8

You have the option to:

▪︎Get a case with a lip that keeps your phone screen from directly touching surfaces when laid down.

▪︎Find a screen protector that doesn't just have adhesive on the edges. They make them. I've seen them.

▪︎Find a screen protector that won't come up. The S8+ has been out for a while, and people have a lot to say about it. Look hard enough and you'll find screen protector reviews by actual people.

I have a Note 9 and I really recommend a screen protector that adheres to the entire screen and not just the edges. I had a glass screen protector (adhesive on the edges) for a little while, but with the first big drop, it just popped off.

View solution in context

LeviShelest24
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

I've tried all those options and my screen still cracked. I hate the curved edge provides nothing for me. I tried the glass dome screen protector and it still cracked on the edge.