cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userYEawiLZYym
Astronaut

Can we get a phone without a curved screen?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I picked the S8+ when it came out because of its technical features and Samsung quality in spite of the curved screen.  Yes it looks nice, but it makes for having an adequate screen protector virtually impossible. 

Instead of a flat display with the ability to have a rock solid glass protector that adheres to the whole surface, we are left with only the ability to use cheap plastic curved protectors that just use a bead of semi sticky adhesive around the edge.  The kit bought had 2 in the box (because even the manufacturer knew they were garbage), and they only lasted a month or two each before the glue seam starts to fail and lets in dust under the protector. 

I don't blame the protector for this, I blame the curved screen.

I have been without a protector for a while now and I just got my first scratch.  At least it's a small one but I'm sure it's the first of many to come throughout the life of this phone.

Now I'm not saying do away with the curve all together.  I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to sacrifice function for beauty. But I'm not one of them. With your next round of phones, please give us a flat screen option for those of us who prefer to keep our screens properly protected for a prolonged life. 

Thank you. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Can we get a phone without a curved screen?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You have the option to:

▪︎Get a case with a lip that keeps your phone screen from directly touching surfaces when laid down.

▪︎Find a screen protector that doesn't just have adhesive on the edges. They make them. I've seen them.

▪︎Find a screen protector that won't come up. The S8+ has been out for a while, and people have a lot to say about it. Look hard enough and you'll find screen protector reviews by actual people.

I have a Note 9 and I really recommend a screen protector that adheres to the entire screen and not just the edges. I had a glass screen protector (adhesive on the edges) for a little while, but with the first big drop, it just popped off.

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71
usernzhnp1XqPb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I totally agree! Screen covers are a mess! Tszumi made a great one for S8+.  Now they are nowhere to be found.  They were $19.95 at Walmart.  I have spent at least $100.00 on them.  PLEASE make your own for them for a reasonable price.  I will never buy a curved screen again unless there is a remedy for this.

userPDiy20wtaJ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can't agree with this more  I just broke my note 8 twice even with a screen protector.  It is impossible to protect this phone 

Now I got a year with.no more insurance claims available.  

I think I'm going back to apple 

userhcjQXhSV5x
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You're going back to Apple? You want to be charged 500usd for a screen fix? Really Man?

userwdvAR7kfXx
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I just switched from the iPhone to this new Samsung Galaxy S10+. I have always had iPhones, but switched because I heard the camera is better along with a number of other compliments. I hate the curved screen. It offers no way to protect it at all. Granted I never broke the screens on my iPhones because I always had them in an otterbox case from the minute I got them, but I know plenty of people who did not protect their iPhones that broke their screen and paid 60 to get the screen fixed, not 500. I don't have the slightest clue where you even got that #, unless you got it from Apple directly, but there is no phone repair place that charges anything over 100 to replace a screen and you don't have to go to Apple to replace a screen. Now I do love the camera quality as I take a ton of pics of my grandson, but this thing can break at any time, even in an otterbox, and cost me who knows how much to repeatedly fix it because there is no protection. They should offer an alternative because as it stands right now, I will go back to iPhone even though I love the features of this phone simply because it will cost me less in the long run fixing what should never have been a problem in the first place. 

userjNscP43F0O
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, yes, yes, this galaxy s9 has issues in so many ways, I can’t keep a screen protector on my phone because of the curved screen,  very annoying, also people can’t hear me when I’m on the phone for any extended period of time, hopefully Samsung will correct these issues

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userYEawiLZYym wrote:

I picked the S8+ when it came out because of its technical features and Samsung quality in spite of the curved screen.  Yes it looks nice, but it makes for having an adequate screen protector virtually impossible. 

Instead of a flat display with the ability to have a rock solid glass protector that adheres to the whole surface, we are left with only the ability to use cheap plastic curved protectors that just use a bead of semi sticky adhesive around the edge.  The kit bought had 2 in the box (because even the manufacturer knew they were garbage), and they only lasted a month or two each before the glue seam starts to fail and lets in dust under the protector. 

I don't blame the protector for this, I blame the curved screen.

I have been without a protector for a while now and I just got my first scratch.  At least it's a small one but I'm sure it's the first of many to come throughout the life of this phone.

Now I'm not saying do away with the curve all together.  I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to sacrifice function for beauty. But I'm not one of them. With your next round of phones, please give us a flat screen option for those of us who prefer to keep our screens properly protected for a prolonged life. 

Thank you. 

if the note 9 is flat, everyones gonna dump what they own and go for broke!

usersFRrD4kJkx
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What use is curved screen for, I don't know. It actually makes reading or watching something on the phone uglier as part of the content goes on towards curve.

Curved screen, glued together phone with irreplaceable small battery, with a non reassignable battery that's all but useless to me.

I'm now seriously considering moving away one the lifespan of my Note 8 is over.

user6V4G24Hoye
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

3 out of 4 of us at my house are Samsung diehards.  We have every phone they've ever made.  And we all have broken screens because of the curved screen design that no case can really protect.  Two of those three screens have already been replaced at our expense (NOT CHEAP!) and have broken AGAIN.  None of us ever had broken a screen on a phone prior to the curved screen.  Now they seem to break if you look at them the wrong way.  ZERO chance we will get a Samsung phone.  We loathe apple - but two of us are getting iphones just to get away from this and I'm not sure what non-samsung I'll get.  So there's 3 diehard customers driven away and soured on samsung just because of the screen.

user0zYJbovdmk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hashtag me too