JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can we get a phone without a curved screen?

(Topic created on: 4/17/18 5:11 PM)
userYEawiLZYym
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

I picked the S8+ when it came out because of its technical features and Samsung quality in spite of the curved screen.  Yes it looks nice, but it makes for having an adequate screen protector virtually impossible. 

Instead of a flat display with the ability to have a rock solid glass protector that adheres to the whole surface, we are left with only the ability to use cheap plastic curved protectors that just use a bead of semi sticky adhesive around the edge.  The kit bought had 2 in the box (because even the manufacturer knew they were garbage), and they only lasted a month or two each before the glue seam starts to fail and lets in dust under the protector. 

I don't blame the protector for this, I blame the curved screen.

I have been without a protector for a while now and I just got my first scratch.  At least it's a small one but I'm sure it's the first of many to come throughout the life of this phone.

Now I'm not saying do away with the curve all together.  I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to sacrifice function for beauty. But I'm not one of them. With your next round of phones, please give us a flat screen option for those of us who prefer to keep our screens properly protected for a prolonged life. 

Thank you. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
88 Replies
userNMjHxX2gJY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

I just got an S9 just because Tmobile allowed me to get it for 0$ down and low monthly installments and after the 6 months I can swap the phone for another one. I'm already thinking about turning the S9 back and get another flagship either from LG or another brand. Who the f*ck thought a curved screen was a good idea? At least have a model with a flat screen! My S7 has a horrible battery life even after swapping it twice by an original battery (programmed obsolence?) but the screen is in pristine conditions since I got an Otterbox Defender case the same day I ordered the phone and I wish I had the same option with my brand new S9 but Samsung is forcing me to switch to another brand

userMvB948mjHQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

I TOTALLY agree. Countless wasted dollars for all kinds of screen protectors that eventually peel off or in the case of the glass ones they simply fall off. Neither of which are compatable with any case. The manufacturers of cases make false claims that the protectors are "screen protector friendly" but they're not.

BRING BACK THE FLAT SCREEN!!!

usersAHpKiTqmI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

Bought S9+ in June 2018 at Springfield OR Best Buy with $50 zagg screen protector. Fell off after after 90 days. My S4 had a $10 screen protector for 5 years, and no bubbles, scratches, and still on. Unacceptable. Want to through phone away. Best Buy in Springfield OR was cruel. Would not help. Scam! Want flat screen phone so $700 ($800 with case and cover) purchase was not throwing money away.

0 Likes
usersAHpKiTqmI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

The reason I bother to mention this negative experience is the only replacement screen protector that stayed on the phone after I paid $10 postage for a not so free replacement from zagg after two shattered glass protectors, one at Verizon dealer, one my own attempt, was original glass screen protector that shows several dust chunks and on verge of repeatedly falling off, again, warrants this posting to communicate to Samsung, and the world, how bad this S9+ product is. I worry every day the replacement screen protector will fall off again, leaving the screen unprotected. unacceptable. It makes clicking sound when swiping across adhesive that is defective, and ready to fall off all over again. Very worried. Help. Want something like S10E, if really truly a flat screen, and replacement Speck case and a real screen protector.

0 Likes
usergQ76t16tqM
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

1st of all let's all not lose track that corporate greed is to play here. They design these phones to break so we have to buy more and they continue to sell new phones. If the phone lasted for years and years they would not sell new phones and make more money.  The curved screen is selling point, to make the phone seem more versatile.  But it's a worthless addition to true function!  I will not be purchasing anymore Samsung's until they offer a flat screen in the S series. I hope you're listening Samsung and give the people what they want!   Anyone want to purchase a slightly used note 9 with  a cracked screen protector? Because I can't get them to quit cracking.  Shopping LG now...

Rose4uKY
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S8

Well tomorrow is the official annoucnement and yes when we got our S7 Edges we hated notbeing able to get a good glass protector. We prior had all HTC phones and had just started loving the Zagg Glass ones. Used it on 2 phones. I am still using a Zagg invisishield on my 9 plus husband doesn't have one on his Note 8. I had to have mine replaced once but it's been fine ever since. 

But the new Samsung Galaxy S10E will be flat and no curve the regular S10 I am not a 100% sure they are announcing tomorrow. I know the plus that we are getting will be curved which stinks &  ultra sonic finger print sensor no telling what protector will work and I read one might come on the phone who knows until tomorrow's announcement.

0 Likes
userDneitpR1Z9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

oh god please! i don't understand it. is it supposed to help us reach edges of pages? because i cant, it completely inhibits me from using the edges  AT ALL. Also i find that the touch screen will mess up because if I'm holding the phone a certain way, my palm will be touching the screen and inhibiting me from touching my screen.  AND i can't find a phone case that doesn't upset the touchscreen feature as well! i have to take my case off to long press and scroll normally. :face_with_rolling_eyes: i get that Samsung is trying to be cooler than apple but they need to back off and remember that us android users are more about FUNCTION than FASHION. its your niche Samsung, stop trying to change yourself just to be more accepted by people. this isn't high school. 

useraXPVZw0drA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8

The edge = stupid...period.

1) Extemely fragile...break break and rebreak...

2) Glare on the edge from light makes it hard to see anything anyway.

3) Most apps dont show stuff clear out to the edge anyway

4) Touch screen close to the edge has to be touched harder than in the middle...really fun to deal with

5) Screen protectors often wont fit right on the edge when new.  If they do...give it a few weeks and it will lift.

6) Harder to hold the phone with the thin edges....perfect from dropping more than usual.

Other than that...phone is great...ha

user0zYJbovdmk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S8

While I'm glad that I'm not alone, 

I feel like sammy doesn't even care... And that sucs, especially when you consider how much phones cost.  

My note 8 is a big disappointment.  

I'll probably not buy Sammy ever again.  

Michael_C
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S8

Everyone here does realize the S10e has a flat screen, correct?