cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgribbin
Halo

Connecting to free WiFi at the local Starbucks

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ever since the last security upgrade a few days ago, I can no longer connect my phone to the wireless at my local Starbucks.

I can connect to their router itself, but they have one of those portal things and I can no longer get through that.

I can still connect fine with my Pixel-C and my Toshiba Chromebook with no changes. I can still connect to wireless at my office and home (no portals). I think it must have something to do with the phone. Of course, the employees at the coffee shop know nothing about it.

SM-G950U

Android Ver 8.0.0

Experience ver 9.0

Security patch level 07/01/2018

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jgribbin
Halo

Re: Connecting to free WiFi at the local Starbucks

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did try my S8 at the local Barnes & Noble last evening. Another coffee shop I frequent.

Both Starbucks & B&N get connectivity through AT&T and both us a similar, though not identical portal, I don't like portals.

I was able to gen connectivity at B&N, but getting through the portal was much more difficult than in the past. I hadn't been there in a couple of weeks, I don't think since the last update I recieved on my phone. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@jgribbin: Just checking in to see if the steps provided were helpful. 

jgribbin
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry, thought I replied earlier...

When I click on the supplied link in Samsung+, Samsumg+ dies. I get invited to open the app again or send feedback. I did send feedback.

If I copy the link to my web browser, I just get taken to the Samsung support webpage and I can't figure out how to ge from there to the "/troubleshooting/TSG01001548/" part

jgribbin
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did try my S8 at the local Barnes & Noble last evening. Another coffee shop I frequent.

Both Starbucks & B&N get connectivity through AT&T and both us a similar, though not identical portal, I don't like portals.

I was able to gen connectivity at B&N, but getting through the portal was much more difficult than in the past. I hadn't been there in a couple of weeks, I don't think since the last update I recieved on my phone. 

View solution in original post

jgribbin
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get my S8 to connect to my usual Starbucks without success. I went to a different Starbucks over the weekend and it connected.

I went back to my usuall Starbucks today, and my phone connected. 

I don't understand, but I guess this issue is solved. 

Now I need to figure out why Samsung+ crashes every time I click on a link in a post.