Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user298JXBJ8qs
Asteroid

DND Automatic Rules

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung appears to have crippled Do Not Disturb by taking away Automatic Rules. Did they replace it with something else? I used it to automatically turn on DND during calendar events in which I'm busy.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supernova

Re: DND Automatic Rules

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here's the low down on Do Not Disturb for the S8 & S8+ from what I can see:

This setting allows you to block all notifications and alerts. The options below determine what notifications can make sounds, and during what time periods you want to enter this mode:

1. From home, swipe up to access Apps.
  2. Tap Settings > Sounds and vibration > Do not disturb.
  3. Tap On/Off to enable the feature.

Scheduling:

This option allows you to turn Do not disturb mode on or off automatically at scheduled times.

Note: Scheduling is not available if Do not disturb mode has been turned on manually.

3. Tap Turn on as scheduled, and set the Days, Start time, and End time.

Allow Exceptions:

This option lets you customize which notifications are allowed while your device is in Do not disturb mode.

3. Tap Allow exceptions, and then tap one of the following options:
  • No exceptions: Allow no exceptions.
  • Alarms only: Allow exceptions for alarms.
  • Custom: Set your own exceptions.

I've seen some people use Automatic Rules in their DND settings, but a lot of other Galaxy Models don't include it as well. So it might be carrier specific or something that started after Marshmallow. Again, based on what I'm seeing here in my research. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

9 REPLIES 9
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here's the low down on Do Not Disturb for the S8 & S8+ from what I can see:

This setting allows you to block all notifications and alerts. The options below determine what notifications can make sounds, and during what time periods you want to enter this mode:

3. Tap On/Off to enable the feature.

Scheduling:

This option allows you to turn Do not disturb mode on or off automatically at scheduled times.

Note: Scheduling is not available if Do not disturb mode has been turned on manually.

3. Tap Turn on as scheduled, and set the Days, Start time, and End time.

Allow Exceptions:

This option lets you customize which notifications are allowed while your device is in Do not disturb mode.

3. Tap Allow exceptions, and then tap one of the following options:
  • No exceptions: Allow no exceptions.
  • Alarms only: Allow exceptions for alarms.
  • Custom: Set your own exceptions.

I've seen some people use Automatic Rules in their DND settings, but a lot of other Galaxy Models don't include it as well. So it might be carrier specific or something that started after Marshmallow. Again, based on what I'm seeing here in my research. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user298JXBJ8qs
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, quite a bummer. Just wanted to double check, as the S8 is my first Samsung phone. I had to resort to using Tasker to check my calendar and automate DND. Thanks for the detailed response.

userqTHopEy8L0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This option appaers to be broken for me.

As soon as you set Custom the Alarm feature is greyed out so I can't have an alarm and all calls through??

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Community! Anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone have a workaround? Let us know!  Smiley Happy

userXKylZxaxFl
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

With this way I cannot have more than 1 rule. In pixel we get option to set multiple rules.

I set one for night , another for travel and another for office.

dgrobe2112
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i agree.. i came from Pixel2, and i could set different rules.. one turn it on and off while at work, the next turned it on at night while going to sleep..  and i had a seperate one for weekends.. im assuming an automation app will be needed

userXX86M0UAaT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung jacked this up in Android, too.  Other phones allow you to add multiple rules to create different schedules for do-no-disturb.  Does Samsung think that we want DND to start and stop at the same time every day, even weekends?  Gimme a break...

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This article contains the options for scheduling the exceptions for DND. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077281/

user83TPILnvZF
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How this is helpful or related to the original question?

The reality is it looks like Samsung cut off an essential piece of functionality from Android. Bixby routines might be a replacement for automatic rules, but they are not as do not allow to put an action on accepted calendar events.