cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Floe
Constellation

Downgrade from android 9 to 8

I need my S8+ to be on android 8 but the android 9 update got by me, is there a safe way to downgrade back to 8???

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Downgrade from android 9 to 8

There is no official way to downgrade.  Why do you need it on the older firmware, jw

Floe
Constellation

Its needed for work purposes. Done alot of looking and it seems its common/allowed using Odin. I have the 8 firmware with the same bootloader version (5) and it  fails to downgrade with "All threads completed. (succeed 0/fail 1). Have the drivers installed its recognized but no cigar. Im using the latest 8 release, 3-4-19 but thinking of trying the release which was used to upgrade from 7 to 8.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Just a few things to note here:

1. This could brick your device.
2. If you trip the KNOX sensor, it will make Samsung Pay, Secure Folder and pretty much anything Samsung security related no longer work.
3. A tripped KNOX sensor means that if you ever want those functions, you'll need a new phone as this could void your warranty.
4. If you do decide to do this, your updates will likely be messed up going forward, especially if you use software from a different carrier. You would have to repeat the search for, download to SD card and update process for every single update.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Honored Contributor

@Floe wrote:

I need my S8+ to be on android 8 but the android 9 update got by me, is there a safe way to downgrade back to 8???

Might be taugh/not possible to go back as the new Android version most likely upgraded the bootloader which in this case you can't downgrade.

g7755725
Astronaut

You could using Odin but Samsung has gotten smarter to block it remotely

g7755725
Astronaut

Plus why would you want to back to Android 8 it's outdated

user4IK2McE8B1
Constellation

What's with all the questions? If you can't answer the questions.....DON'T