Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ec34500
Constellation

GPS Issue on Galaxy s8

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Got this phone a couple weeks ago and have noticed the GPS location on this phone has been very off. Sometimes it finds me just fine, sometimes it doesnt. When in Google Maps navigation, it will sometimes say "searching for GPS" like I turned my location off when I haven't. The gyoscope in Google Maps is also off - I've tried callebrating it, which helps for a short period of time, but then goes out again.  Only help I've found is turning location off for a bit, and turning it back on. WiFi also needs to be on in order for it to track correctly.

Anyone else noticing this issue? Or is the GPS on my phone defective?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userOP95yW6Vkp
Constellation

Re: GPS Issue on Galaxy s8

JUMP TO SOLUTION

FOR ALL THE USERS I HOPE THIS HELP YOU...

GPS IN S8 DOESNT WORK WELL WITH ANY SAVE BATTERY PROFILE...

PLEASE TRY WITH ALL POWER SAVE PROFILE OFF.. 

ONE OF THE CARACTERISTICS OF THIS IS THE FACT OF SAVE BATTERY TRYING TO LOCATE THE PHONE VIA THE WIFI OR THE INTERNET CONNECTION AND TURN OFF THE GPS ANTENNA...

REMEMBER THIS... BY GUNS.DC

View solution in original post

98 REPLIES 98
userlV5z3I0yia
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same exact issue with my S8! My location in Google Maps (blue dot) will not stay in place (also messing up my Weather Channel widget) most of the time. It will randomly change my current location back to an area about 25 minutes away from me where I was earlier that day. I also end up having to toggle the GPS on & off to temporarily fix the problem. But, it only works temporarily.

Strangely enough, when I notice my Weather Channel widget shows the wrong location (area I was in earlier), I open Google Maps & the blue dot will 1st show my current location, and then change to the location I was at earlier in the day. When I calibrated it before (or pressed the Google Maps GPS reset button), it worked, but not anymore. 

T-Mobile claims it's a Google Maps issue (which may be true because 2 updates ago I had no problems & people are complaing about it now on the Google Play Store), but a Google representative at Best Buy told me it's a T-Mobile issue. I also noticed this started happening after the last phone software update.

Regardless, who's​ ever fault it is, I hope there's a fix soon because it's very annoying and makes it unreliable. All my past phones have been Galaxy, and never had this problem. Glad to know I'm not the only one. 

userA9nUKEK50B
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i have the same issue with my S8+ gps sucks 

Nexusjz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you ever find a fix? I have the exact same issue.

Was told earlier today by Samsung chat support to wipe the cache thru the inbuilt system recovery menu . Will have to see if issue recurs. Also have the paid version of the GPS status app (not sure if that will help my device) 

userJef3ieBjDc
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
i would think it has to do with the recent software update. i have sprint and am having the same problem and i have tried other GPS apps and having the same problem....i also tried the GPS status app and same outcome of not being able to find location.
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userJef3ieBjDc

Did you try some of the steps mentioned in this thread? Any of them help out?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userYRuOfzCoIr
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried all the steps possible. Nothing works. I think there is an issue with the hardware than the software. I will try to give it to local samsung service centre.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there @userYRuOfzCoIr How did it go at the walk-in service center? I would recommend reaching out to one of other lines of support for immediate 1-on-1 assistance and see about setting up an evaluation and possible repair for your device with our mail-in repair center. You can reach out on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/samsungsupport/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/samsungsupport) or by calling 1 (800) 726-7864.

userXhriX7h6Ay
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Anything happened? Was it fixed?
userGal4O6muiP
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not OP. But i had the same problem with my s8 too. Took it to the service center. They tried factory resetting, firmware flash, even opened up the phone and inspected it. Found no issues.

In fact the guy told me that the GPS was working since he could see the blue dot on the Maps app.

Then i physically took the service guy outdoors with me and made him compare my working Nexus 6p navigation with the Galaxy s8. He accepted the defect and changed the motherboard. Received the phone after 2 days. Works flawlessly now.